Chocolate-Caramel Pretzel Tart Recipe
Usually, we love to chat with you about our recipe of the day. But when a dessert is this heavenly, there’s little for us to say except find the time to make this, because it is so worth it.
12 ounces pretzels
¼ cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1¼ cups sugar
⅓ cup corn syrup
Pinch of salt
⅓ cup heavy cream
5 tablespoons butter
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
Whole small pretzels, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place a 10-inch tart pan on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
2. Make the Crust: In the bowl of a food processor, grind the pretzels until they form coarse crumbs. (You should end up with about 2 cups of crumbs.) Transfer the pretzel crumbs to a medium bowl and then stir in the sugar and melted butter.
3. Pour the crumb mixture into the prepared tart pan and press into an even layer in the base and up the side. Bake until the crust is golden and set (it will still be a bit crumbly until the filling goes in), 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely.
4. Make the Caramel: In a small pot, combine the sugar with the corn syrup, ¼ cup water and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and then cook until the mixture is a deep amber color and registers 325°F on a thermometer, 15 to 17 minutes.
5. Stir in the heavy cream and butter (the mixture will bubble up slightly). Pour the caramel into the pretzel crust and cool completely.
6. Make the Ganache: Place the chocolate in a heat-safe bowl. In a small pot over medium heat, bring the cream to a boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 15 seconds. Stir until smooth and then pour the chocolate mixture into the tart shell over the caramel layer.
7. Garnish the tart with pretzels (in a pattern or crumbled over the surface). Cool completely at room temperature, at least 1 hour, before slicing and serving.