- King Charles III and Queen Camilla said “bonjour” to French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife, Brigitte Macron, this week as they jetted to France for a state visit.
- While there, His Royal Majesty showed off his language skills, addressing the French Senate with a speech partly in French (becoming the first British monarch to ever do so).
- Meanwhile, Queen Camilla gave a wink to her late mother-in-law, Queen Elizabeth II, by donning the King George VI Sapphire Suite (a set of gorgeous jewelry that was given to Queen Elizabeth as a wedding gift from her father).
- The royal couple also visited the flower market that was renamed for Queen Elizabeth back in 2014.
- Meanwhile, King Charles continued a tradition that was started by his mother by planting a new tree at the British residence in Paris.
- Their trip also featured a special flypast from the Red Arrows, a State Banquet at the Palace of Versailles, some ping pong playing and visits to the Bibliotheque Nationale de France and le 19M.
Royal News Roundup: King Charles Visits France, Prince William Jogs Through New York & More
Plus, Prince Harry gets a birthday surprise
Nathan Laine/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Here’s all the royal news you need to know for the week of September 22, 2023.
- Speaking of travel, Prince William came to New York City for the UN General Assembly (UNGA), where he met with colleagues from across the world.
- While in the city, the Prince of Wales attended the Earthshot Prize Innovation Summit, where this year's finalists were announced.
- He also went for a run in Central Park one morning, where he somehow went unnoticed by fellow park-goers.
- His wife, Kate Middleton, did not join him for the trip, because she stayed in the U.K. to “carry out her own engagements” and tend to the family, according to royal expert Katie Nicholl.
- But the Princess of Wales kept busy this past week, as she visited the RNAS Yeovilton for the first time as Commodore-in-Chief of the Fleet Air Arm.
- The princess also visited Streets of Growth—a youth support charity—in London (where she broke royal protocol by taking a selfie with a royal fan).
- In other royal news, Sarah Ferguson made an Instagram tribute to two special women: her late mother, Susan Barrantes, and the former British monarch, Queen Elizabeth II.
- Meanwhile, Princess Diana’s younger brother, Charles Spencer, shared a portrait that was painted of their grandfather, Jack (and the resemblance between them and their grandpa is uncanny).
- King Charles celebrated Rosh Hashanah with a throwback clip featuring him dancing at the JW3 London in December 2022.
- Princess Beatrice’s husband, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, uploaded a rare shot of their baby girl, Sienna, in honor of her second birthday.
- Also, Princess Beatrice and her sister, Princess Eugenie, absolutely stunned at Vogue World: London, where they wore eye-popping dresses, as seen on Eugenie’s IG.
- Meanwhile, several royals made special trips, with The Duke of Edinburgh visiting Cornwall and the Duchess of Edinburgh spending a busy day in Wiltshire.
- Finally, Prince Harry wrapped up his Invictus Games in Düsseldorf, Germany, where he gave a rousing speech at the closing ceremony.
- Always the fashion icon, Markle stole the show at the closing ceremony, where she wore a lace turquoise dress from Cult Gaia.
- Earlier in the week, body language expert Darren Stanton analyzed pictures of Prince Harry with his wife, Meghan Markle, at the Invictus Games Wheelchair Basketball Finals, where Stanton said that Harry showed “genuine joy.”
- During the games, the Duke of Sussex also received a special 39th birthday surprise when the crowd sang “Happy Birthday” to him in the middle of a volleyball game.
- In anticipation of the royal’s birthday, jewelry experts at Steven Stone broke down the gifts that the duke has given to Markle over the years, estimating that the total is around $600,000.
- With the games wrapped, it was also announced that the sporting event will return in 2025 for winter games in Canada, hosted by two cities: Vancouver and Whistler.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.
More Stories You'll Love
Taylor Swift Just Copied Kate Middleton’s Fashion at Boyfriend Travis Kelce’s Football Game
Mariska Hargitay Names Cat After Taylor Swift Song and Swift Promptly Loses It in Response
Kate Middleton Secretly Shows Up on Popular Reality Show Set with Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis
Serena Williams Shares Behind-the-Scenes Video from Her First Red Carpet Event Since Giving Birth to Baby Adira
‘Virgin River’ Star Alexandra Breckenridge Jokes That She Gives Out Medical Advice Because She Plays a Nurse on TV
Sarah Ferguson and Her Daughters Had a Red Carpet Matching Moment at Princess Eugenie’s Charity Event