ICYMI: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle got their own official Instagram account. However, the couple’s social media debut caused more drama than we ever thought possible, because their handle (@sussexroyal) was apparently stolen from another user.
As Page Six points out, the account previously belonged to a British diving instructor named Kevin Keiley. Although he had the handle for three full years, that all changed when he woke up on April 2 only to find it had been changed from @sussexroyal to @_sussexroyal_.
Keiley discussed the matter in an interview with Radio 1 Newsbeat, where he revealed that his son pointed it out. “I got a jokey text from my son, which said, ‘Ha ha, I see your handle has gone then,’” he said. “I thought ‘What’s that all about?’ He said, ‘Look on Instagram,’ so I looked on Instagram and suddenly my handle wasn’t @sussexroyal anymore it was @_sussexroyal_ .”
While it may seem like a first-world problem, Keiley can’t help but feel “annoyed,” considering no one from the royal family’s team—nor Instagram—reached out regarding the matter.
So, is it allowed? Unfortunately, it appears so. When Page Six contacted Instagram, the social media platform confirmed it did, in fact, take the name due to a policy that allows them to make changes if the account appears inactive.
Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean Keiley is getting over it anytime soon. “I’m a bit loath to use Instagram until I have a chat with them personally,” he added.
You do you, Kevin.