17 Penne Pasta Recipes You Haven’t Tried Before
Ahh, penne. You’re the most ubiquitous pasta shape on the block. Red sauce, cream sauce, ziti or salad—you name it, we’ve probably (read: definitely) eaten it with tubular, ridged noodles. Which is why we’re on the hunt for something exciting and new to add to our rotation. Presenting 17 penne pasta recipes you haven’t tried before (but should).
1. Baked Penne alla Vodka with Kale
Bubbly cheese and a rich, creamy tomato sauce? It doesn’t get better than this. Oh wait, it does—with kale.
2. Roasted Broccoli and Bacon Pasta Salad
Serve it as a side dish or the main course, but whatever you do, don’t forget the crispy breadcrumb garnish.
4. Creamy Cajun Chicken Penne Pot
Forget boring or bland—this easy, spicy pasta is proof that penne can be the most exciting noodle on the block.
5. Whole Wheat Greek Pasta Salad
The whole wheat penne does double duty, adding a nutty flavor and upping the nutrition factor at the same time. (Thanks, Coterie member Heidi Larsen.)
6. Easy Balsamic Veggie Pasta
Not all pasta dishes have to be laden with cheese to be delicious. This fresh mix of vegetables and balsamic is filling and healthy at the same time.
7. Gluten-Free Spicy Tomato Chickpea Pasta
Have you had chickpea noodles yet? They’re gluten-free, low in carbs and packed with extra protein—a no-brainer in this already chickpea-heavy recipe.
8. Penne with Five (or Six) Cheeses
What’s the sixth cheese? Burrata, of course. And if you ask us, it’s not optional.
9. One-Pot Lemon, Broccoli and Cauliflower Pasta
Minimal prep time, minimal cooking time and maximum payoff. We’re officially obsessed with this recipe.
10. Chicken Pesto Pasta Meal Prep
Since it can be served warm or cold, pasta is the ultimate make-ahead lunch option. You can use store-bought pesto if you really want to streamline things.
11. Pasta with Peas, Pancetta and Goat Cheese
It’s all about the trifecta: penne, pancetta and peas. The goat cheese is just gilding the lily.
12. Creamy Tomato Gluten-Free Penne Pasta
FYI, this one is ready in 25 minutes. It’s also dairy-free, in case you were wondering.
13. Easiest Tomato Basil Penne with Spicy Italian Chickpeas
You’re 30 minutes away from this spicy bowl of comfort food. The chickpeas add texture and protein, and the burrata ties everything together.
15. Creamy Pumpkin Sage Alfredo with Penne
Aside from taking a mere 15 minutes to put together, this satisfying bowl can be made gluten-free and vegan. Just skip the Parmesan at the end.
17. Simple Mushroom Penne with Walnut Pesto
Golden brown, buttery mushrooms add an earthy note to this easy meal. The homemade pesto is worth the extra effort—just pulse everything in a food processor and dig in.