Yields 6 sandwiches
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 drops red gel food coloring
- 2 drops blue gel food coloring
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip egg whites on high speed 1 minute, then add cream of tartar. Whip 1 minute, then add granulated sugar and whip until stiff peaks form, about 4 more minutes. Set aside.
3. Into a medium bowl, sift almond flour and confectioners’ sugar. Stir to combine. Pour half of mixture into stand mixer bowl and carefully fold it in with a spatula. Add remaining flour mixture and fold it in until just combined. Scoop equal amounts into two small bowls. Stir red food coloring into one bowl and blue food coloring into the other.
4. Add mixtures to two large piping bags. Cut the tip off the bottom or fit with a round tip. Squeeze red circles and blue circles about 3 inches in diameter on prepared baking sheet, leaving ½ inch between circles, until batter is used up.
5. Firmly tap baking sheet against table or countertop about ten times to settle batter and knock out any bubbles. Let sit at room temperature 45 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 300°F. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until barely brown around outside edges.
7. Remove from oven and let cool completely on baking sheet, about 20 minutes. Once macarons are cooled, flip red macaron shells. Scoop about ½ cup ice cream onto each red flipped shell and sandwich with a blue shell. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Unofficial Disney Parks EPCOT Cookbook by Ashley Craft. Copyright © 2022 by Ashley Craft. Photos by Harper Point Photography. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Want to cook the rest of the book? You know what to do.