The 24 Best Food Subscription Boxes (So You Can Skip a Grocery Run This Week)
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
Feeling lazy about making dinner? Get the whole family cooking (or avoid cooking entirely) with a meal delivery service that provides all the ingredients and recipes you need, or even ready-to-heat, pre-prepared meals that don't require any prep. No matter your dietary preferences, there's a food subscription box for you (even if you're on a vegan, Paleo or keto diet plan).
Our picks include healthy lunches and smoothies, family dinners, prepared plant-based meals for one and everything in between. Prices start at $5 per serving, so there are plenty of options in terms of affordability. The best part? No waiting in line at the grocery store. Read on for the 24 best food subscription boxes to try ASAP.
*Delivery times and availability may vary based on location. Check each site for further details.
The Top 5 Food Subscription Boxes at a Glance
1. Blue Apron
Best Food Subscription Box Overall
- Cost: From $8 to $12 per serving for two to four meals per week
- What You Get: Portioned ingredients to cook for two or four people, plus cooking instructions
Blue Apron is ideal for kitchen novices who want to learn new skills (you need to check out the brand's handy video demos). The O.G. food delivery service has remained best in class due to its inventive, seasonal recipes and focus on quality ingredients.
Best Food Subscription Box for Aspiring Cooks
- Cost: From $54/week (or $7.50/serving)
- What You Get: Portioned ingredients to cook three to four meals per week for two to four people, plus cooking instructions
Choose from HelloFresh plans that include meat and veggies, just veggies, low-calorie, pescatarian and family-friendly options. You get to select the meals you want to make based on the recipes being offered that week.
3. Purple Carrot
Best Vegan Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $80 to $106/week ($13/serving) for two people to $88 to $132/week ($11/serving) for four people
- What You Get: A flexible, weekly subscription of vegan meals that come freshly prepared and ready to cook (just add salt and pepper to taste)
Unlike other subscription food boxes that have a vegan option, Purple Carrot is exclusively vegan, so delicious veggies are their specialty. Plus, the brand offers breakfast, lunch and snack options in addition to dinner, making it easy to eat plant-based all day long with minimal effort.
Best Keto Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $78/week ($13/serving) for six meals to $198/week ($11/serving) for 18 meals
- What You Get: Fully cooked, ready-to-heat meals created with your health in mind, shipped to your door
An offshoot of HelloFresh, Factor_ is a recipe-driven meal kit that provides ready-to-eat meals created by dietitians and chefs. Take your pick from a variety of healthy options, including keto, low-carb, plant-based and dairy-free dishes. Even better, your subscription includes a 20-minute consultation with a dietitian who will help you choose your menu based on your wellness goals.
Most Affordable Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $54 to $132 per week for three to six meals for two to four people
- What You Get: Portioned ingredients to cook for two to four people, plus digital cooking instructions
Dinnerly is by far the most affordable meal kit on the market at just under $5 per serving. How do they do it? By using digital recipe cards instead of paper, fewer ingredients per dish (which means the meals are easier and faster to make) and shipping all the fresh ingredients in a simple, no-frills box.
6. Green Chef
Best Food Subscription Box for Large Families
- Cost: From $72/week (or $12/serving)
- What You Get: Portioned ingredients to make three to four meals per week for two, four or six people, plus cooking instructions
Green Chef creates meals based on diet. Going keto, Paleo or plant-based? This delivery service does all the hard work for you, so all you have to do is open the box and start chopping.
7. Home Chef
Best Food Subscription Box for Quick Meals
- Cost: From $50/week (or from $9/serving)
- What You Get: Portioned ingredients sent once or twice a week to make up to eight servings, plus cooking instructions
Home Chef not only lets you pick the number of meals you'll receive per week, but it also lets you customize each one to upgrade, double up or swap a protein. You can also choose meals based on cooking time, from five minutes to 30 minutes or more.
Best Food Subscription Box for Busy Schedules
- Cost: From $72/week (or $12/serving)
- What You Get: Portioned and prepped ingredients to cook three to five meals per week for two or four people, plus cooking instructions
Pro chefs do all the chopping and marinating for you, so your Gobble meal is ready to cook right out of the box—no prep necessary. The best part: Each meal (whether you go classic, lean and clean or vegetarian) will only take you 15 minutes from start to finish.
Most Customizable Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $65/delivery
- What You Get: A handpicked lineup of groceries and recipes to help you make healthy, nutritious meals
We typically go into the grocery store and pick items blindly, but Hungryroot helps us shop for ingredients that can easily be combined to create healthy meals. We also love that we can customize our order every week, adding the essentials we can't live without.
Most Splurge-Worthy Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $63/week for two dinners
- What You Get: Plant-based, gluten-free and organic, fully prepared meals delivered to your door; breakfast, lunch and dinner available
Sakara takes the guesswork out of eating plant-based, gluten-free and organic with expert, ready-made meals delivered on a weekly basis. Unlike other subscription services, you have the option to include three pre-prepared meals per day, so you don't have to spend valuable time cooking (aside from heating up a dish or two).
11. Splendid Spoon
Most Well-Rounded Food Subscription Box
- Cost: Seven to 28 meals per week from $10 per serving
- What You Get: Ready-to-eat plant-based smoothies, soups and grain bowls that are ideal for healthy eating
Sometimes it's easier to reach for a sugary protein bar than blending up a superfood-packed smoothie. Luckily, Splendid Spoon offers a simple, quick solution for keeping your health goals on track: nourishing, plant-based, clean meals that are ready to eat within seconds. Try the brand's new line of internationally inspired Dishes, which boast 12 grams of protein per serving and only take 5 minutes to warm up.
12. Martha Stewart & Marley Spoon
Best Celebrity-Endorsed Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $64/week ($12/serving) for two meals for two people to $221/week ($10/serving) for six meals for four people
- What You Get: Gourmet, easy dinners shipped straight to your door; traditional and vegetarian options available
If you aspire to be Martha Stewart, but don't have nearly enough time to whip up intricate feasts every night, her meal delivery service, Martha Stewart & Marley Spoon, makes it more accessible. Plus, you can choose from 22 new meals every week, only selecting those that look the most delicious to you and your family.
13. Fresh Meal Plan
Best Heat-and-Eat Food Subscription Box
- Cost: $72/week ($12/serving) for six meals, $109/week for ten meals ($11/serving) or $140/week ($10/serving) for 14 meals; $13/meal a la carte
- What You Get: Six to 14 meals from your preferred menu of traditional, Paleo, keto, vegan or lean and mean categories
Every Fresh Meal Plan dish is made fresh to enjoy without any cooking or prepping, so all you have to do is crack the seal on the heat-ready packaging, pop it in the microwave and dig in. Don't want a weekly commitment? Fresh Meal Plan also offers an a la carte menu for individual orders on demand.
Most Flexible Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $10/serving for Fresh & Ready meals; from $11.50/serving for meal kits
- What You Get: Portioned organic ingredients or oven-ready dishes for two to four meals per week for two to four people, plus cooking instructions
All of Sunbasket's meals are chef-crafted and dietitian-approved, so you never have to worry about the logistics of whipping up healthy meals for the whole family. Plus, you can choose from three different methods: classic cooking, pre-prepped (no slicing and dicing necessary) or oven ready (just heat in the oven or microwave and serve).
15. Daily Harvest
Best Breakfast Food Subscription Box
- Cost: $7 each for oat and chia bowls; $8 each for smoothies, soups, bites and lattes; $10 each for harvest bowls and flatbreads; 9-, 14- and 24-item plans available
- What You Get: Pre-portioned and frozen superfood smoothies, soups, harvest bowls, oat bowls, chia bowls, flatbreads, bites and lattes
Daily Harvest makes healthy living a no-brainer by packing essential smoothie, soup, grain and veggie bowl ingredients into convenient, pre-portioned and frozen meals that are easy to make—just make sure to have a blender handy for smoothies, a stovetop or microwave for the bowls or an oven for the flatbreads.
16. Mosaic Foods
Best Frozen Plant-Based Subscription Box
- Cost: Order minimum of $70 (cost varies by subscription)
- What You Get: Frozen, chef-crafted, plant-based veggie bowls, soups and oat bowls that are ready to eat in five minutes or less
There are breakfast, lunch and dinner options, all vegetarian or vegan (including pizza, folks). So, Mosaic Foods makes getting your daily veggies in a total breeze. But if you end up having a change in dinner plans one night, you won't have to feel bad about wasting the meal—it'll stay safe in the freezer until you're ready to dig in. We also love the flexible subscription plan and the recyclable packaging the meals arrive in.
Best Food Subscription Box for Newbie Cooks
- Cost: From $33/week ($5/serving) for two to four people
- What You Get: Affordable, fresh ingredients to cook homestyle recipes, plus simple instructions; classic, vegetarian and family meals available
EveryPlate's dishes couldn't be easier to pull off, considering all the ingredients are shipped to your door and the recipes are limited to six simple steps. Your meals will be ready in 30 minutes or less, and you'll get to choose from 19 exciting new recipes every week based on your preferences.
18. Fresh N' Lean
Best Gluten-Free Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $8/serving; choose from one, two or three meals a day or a la carte meals
- What You Get: Prepared breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks that are ready to eat after three minutes of heating
All Fresh n' Lean meals are fresh instead of frozen, gluten-free, non-GMO and nutritious. Choose from high-protein, keto, Paleo, vegan, Whole30 and low-carb vegan options, or buy proteins, veggies, oats and everything in between in bulk.
Best Paleo Food Subscription Box
- Cost: From $11 to $14 per meal
- What You Get: Prepared meals that are free of gluten, dairy and refined sugars and ready to eat in just two minutes
Not only are Territory's prepared meals healthy and tasty, they're also made with sustainable ingredients and shipped in eco-friendly packaging. Choose from 35+ options every week to personalize your menu.
Best Chef-Crafted Food Subscription Box
- Cost: Varies by meal selection; save 30 percent on your first week by signing up for a membership plan
- What You Get: Four to 16 weekly meals created by a group of diverse chefs in your local area
CookUnity's ever-changing menu offers dozens of mouthwatering meals every week, each prepared by local chefs across the country. Better yet, they offer a number of diet-specific meals for folks on Paleo and beyond, plus package all their meals in compostable, environmentally friendly packaging.
21. The Good Kitchen
Best Food Subscription Box for Adventurous Eaters
- Cost: $12/serving; save 20 percent on your first week just by signing up
- What You Get: Six to 12 heat-and-eat, farm-to-table meals created by chefs with sustainability and seasonality in mind
Will you try anything once? The Good Kitchen sources unexpected proteins, like venison, chorizo and even wild boar, for their meals. All the proteins are grass-fed, sustainably raised and free of hormones and antibiotics.
22. Snap Kitchen
Best Dietitian-Backed Food Subscription Box
- Cost: $14/serving; save 5 percent on every order by becoming a member
- What You Get: Six to 13 dietician-approved, chosen-by-you meals per week that are ready to heat and devour
Snap Kitchen's meals are always free of gluten, artificial sweeteners, preservatives and antibiotics, but our favorite thing about the brand is that you can chat with a registered dietitian about your meal plan—for free. You can schedule an appointment the moment you become a member.
23. Mouth Snacks of the Month Club
Best Snacks Subscription Box
- Cost: $54/month for a yearly subscription, $57/month for a six-month subscription, $60/month for a three-month subscription or one-time purchase
- What You Get: All the sweet and salty munchies you could dream of, which could include granola bars, trail mix, pickles, popcorn and toaster pastries, for example
Maybe you have dinner and groceries on lock; it's all those noshy moments in between meals that you need a subscription box for. Look no further than Mouth's tempting assortment of snacks, which are sure to satisfy your cravings month after month.
24. Candy Club
Best Sweets Subscription Box
- Cost: From $30 per month
- What You Get: A box of six signature candies, selected based on your preferences
Are you a gummy stan? Obsessed with sour goodies? Candy Club has treats that are right up your alley, and by signing up for the brand's subscription box, you'll never be out of your favorite treats. Select them yourself or let yourself be surprised. (We're partial to Sour Pink Cadillacs.)
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.
Taryn Pire is PureWow’s associate food editor. A former bartender and barista, she’s been writing about all things delicious since 2016, developing recipes, reviewing restaurants and investigating food trends at Food52, New Jersey Family Magazine and Taste Talks. When she isn’t testing TikTok’s latest viral recipe, she’s having popcorn for dinner and posting about it on Instagram @cookingwithpire.
Shop Our Favorite Keto Subscription Boxes: