The Best White Sneakers on the Internet, from High-Tops to Slip-Ons to Classic Lace-Ups
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
Just as you can never go wrong with a little black dress, you’ll never feel out of place in a pair of classic white sneakers. You can wear them with dresses, jeans, suits or even your wedding dress and strut with the confidence that you look as good as your feet feel.
Of course, there are hundreds—if not thousands—of different sneaker brands to choose from, and after just a few minutes of research, you might find that they all start to blend into one generic white shoe (but seriously, what was the difference between those two again?). To make your life easier, we rounded up the absolute best white sneakers on the internet. So no matter which one you pick, you’ll know you’re getting a great shoe.
How We Picked the Best White Sneakers
As is true for all the best kept secrets, the best white sneakers come recommended by word of mouth. We polled all of Gallery Media Group (including PureWow editors, the crew at ONE37pm and our friends over in podcasting), as well as friends, family and social media acquaintances to get their top picks for the most comfortable, best made sneakers they’ve ever worn. We also scoured tons of reviews, both on retailers like Nordstrom, Zappos and DSW and on other shoe-focused publications, to ensure our picks were just as beloved by those outside the PureWow offices. The end result: a compilation of 15 white sneakers we feel confident will fit your every need.
How to Clean White Sneakers
The best way to clean your white sneakers is dependent largely on the materials they’re made from. While some brands make sneakers you can literally just toss in the wash (hey there, Rothy’s!), most should steer clear of machine washing so you don’t accidentally damage either the upper or the rubber sole. For leather sneakers, use an oil-based soap and a horsehair brush to gentle scrub away dirt and grime before wiping the leather down with a microfiber cloth. Canvas and cotton can handle a more aggressive scrubbing and clean up nicely with regular laundry detergent, rather than a specialized soap. As for suede, you might want to consider taking those delicate beauties to a professional. You can brush suede shoes down with a brass brush (and should do so often to prevent stains from setting in), and there are also specific suede cleaning kits you can buy. But if you’re at all nervous we think it’s better to splurge and let the pros handle tough stains rather than chance it at home.
The Best White Sneakers for Women at a Glance
- Size Range: US 5 to 11
- What to Know: made partially from recycled materials, faux-leather upper, vegan
- Promising Review: “I love all of my Stan Smiths and I have many! They tend to run a half size big, but are otherwise fantastic. Look great, feel great and tons of compliments.” –an Adidas reviewer
In our poll of the PureWow offices, Adidas very clearly stood out as the preferred sneaker brand, with the most popular style being the classic Stan Smith. They’re durable and fairly easy to clean (pro tip: use a Magic Eraser for any tough scuff marks), plus the removable insole means you can insert your own more supportive orthotics, should you need them. And for those who want a little extra pop, there are also a ton of accent colors to choose from. According to reviews, these do require a bit of a break-in period, so keep that in mind if you’re ordering these for a trip or for walking around the city. They also seem to run a half size big, so you may find going down by a half size to be more comfortable.
- Size Range: US 5 to 17.5
- What to Know: unisex design, no break-in period, canvas upper
- Promising Review: “Great shoes—comfortable right out of the box and go with anything! If you’re in between sizes, choose the bigger one. I followed that advice from other reviewers and was glad I did. I bought in a size 12 and held the soles up against my size 11.5 Adidas Stan Smith and they looked the same. If anything the Vans were a hair shorter. Hope that helps somebody.” – Kay, a Nordstrom reviewer
These easy slip-ons beloved by skaters require little to no break-in period and won’t cause a major hit to your wallet. They don’t offer a ton of support, but have just enough so you don’t feel like you’re walking around barefoot. (If you do want to add an insole with more support, we suggest buying a half or whole size larger.) However, they are incredibly lightweight, a major bonus for frequent travelers or those who don’t like the feel of heavier soles. Katherine Gillen, PureWow’s senior food editor, specifically loves how easy it is to get these on and off in a flash. “I love my slip-on Vans partly because they don't give me blisters at the heel and partly because I'm lazy. I will say though, if you're entertaining the idea of going sockless with them, just don't—they will get sooo stinky.”
- Size Range: US 5 to 12
- What to Know: leather upper, unisex design, good arch support
- Promising Review: “I absolutely love these shoes! They go with everything and are super comfortable. If you’re debating on buying them, just do it, it’s worth it. Lots of folks said to size down, but I decided not to because I have a wide foot, I’m glad I didn’t.” – Valerie D., a Nike reviewer
Air Force 1s will never be out of style, but the retro shoe is having something of a moment right now, which is great news for those who have been wearing them for years, like PureWow’s associate editor Chelsea Candelario. “The AF1 are a staple in my collection. I think it's like an NYC staple, right next to Timberlands for the winter—it's always been *the* summer sneaker to rock.” Beauty director Jenny Jin also highly recommends this classic style. “They're comfortable, they give you a surprising boost in height, they go with most everything and they're durable. I've had mine for a couple of years now and they show very minor signs of wear. I also like that you can customize them on the site. I have a few all-white pairs with various accents on them (contrasting soles or Nike swoops, etc.).” As both women noted, the sleek white design of the Air Force 1 ’07 goes with everything from sundresses to skinny jeans to athleisure staples, and we adore the thicker sole, which isn’t quite a platform but still adds more height than the others on this list. And while they do require some breaking in, the durable leather and timeless design make them well worth the investment.
- Size Range: US 5 to 12
- What to Know: flexible heel allows you to wear them as a regular sneaker or a backless slip-on,
- Promising Review: “I have plantar fasciitis and have not been able to wear many of the shoes I wore previously. I've owned the OluKai O'Hana flip-flops now for years and they were one of the few shoes I could tolerate, and they’ve got great arch support. I looked for OluKai sneakers hoping they would be similarly comfortable, and they were. They feel great and I've gotten compliments on how they look.” – Wendy, a Nordstrom reviewer
We’re big fans of just about all of OluKai’s sneaker styles, but the Pehuea Li has to be our top pick—and with near perfect five-star ratings at Zappos, Amazon and Nordstrom, we think it’s safe to say these kicks are beloved by customers. The lightweight design has a mesh upper, making it super breathable (a great option for hot summer days), and the heel can be easily folded down to transform your shoes into backless slip-ons if you’re running out the door. The insoles are also super cushy, but can be removed if you’d rather use your own inserts, and great for all-day walking. Some reviews suggest this style runs a half size small, so we suggest going up by a half size, or a full size if you plan to add more supportive insoles.
- Size Range: US 5 to 20
- What to Know: available in wide widths up to size 15, available in half sizes up to women’s size 13.5,unisex design, minimal arch support
- Promising Review: “For reference, I am a (very cool) 67-year-old grandmother. I bought these high tops because I liked the look. I am here to tell you that these puppies are the most comfortable tennies I have ever owned. You will not be disappointed, no matter how old you are. Runs big, size down.” – Patty, a Nordstrom reviewer
These truly classic kicks are a total no-brainer style wise, but as multiple PureWow editors pointed out, they’re also incredibly comfortable and last well considering their price point. “I typically buy a half size up so I can put a cushier insole in there for extra support,” says stylist Vanessa G., “and they also come in wide widths which I love!” The higher ankle hits at just the right point to look cool without cutting your feet off in an unflattering way, and both the canvas upper and rubber soles are a cinch to clean and care for (although they’re not machine washable). And if the minimal pops of red and blue at the sole bother you, there is an all-white option, as well. Many reviewers suggest these run a smidge big. As one shopper writes, “I read reviews before purchasing and on the advice of numerous reviews I ordered an 8.5 instead of my normal size 9. They do run slightly large but I kinda wish I had ordered my normal size as I could have worn socks easier with them. Other than that I love them.”
- Size Range: EU 35 to 43 (roughly US 5 to 11.5)
- What to Know: canvas upper, run a half size large, unisex design
- Promising Review: “High quality canvas sneaker. The canvas itself is thick, grommets are solid. Laces are thick. They are a bit heavy, but have solid construction. This is probably my 10th pair, I have worn Superga sneakers for 25 years. A true 5-star shoe.” – Sharon, a Zappos reviewer
“These are hands-down my favorite sneakers. I have six pairs in all different colors and I wear them on rotation pretty much every single day,” says Rachel Gulmi, operations director, branded content for PureWow, who happens to be a die-hard Superga Cotu fan. “Unlike my old go-to pairs (Converse), they have much more cushion and support. I love the fact they're zero frills but are still super cute. Oh, and they are machine washable.” And she’s not the only one in love with Superga—Kate Middleton has been spotted in this exact style numerous times, as was Princess Diana back in the ‘90s. The cotton canvas upper is a bit more casual than a lot of the leather pairs on this list but is just as versatile and looks great with everything from jeans to a flowy midi dress. Be sure to double check the sizing before you order—because these are a unisex design some reviewers found the size listings a bit confusing. In general, folks also found these run a little big.
- Size Range: US 5 to 13
- What to Know: carbon neutral, canvas upper, also available in suede and leather
- Promising Review: “I hesitated to buy these because I have a wide foot and these don’t come in wide. However, I ordered my usual size and they are plenty roomy. The inserts give a nice support as well. Plus, the colors are very cute—I can see myself order more in the near future.” – Suze W., a Cariuma reviewer
These lace-up kicks are one of the best eco-friendly options out there. The shoes are entirely vegan with an upper made from fair-trade cotton canvas. The soles are made with rubber “tapped” from trees using a method that ultimately leaves the trees unharmed. But they're not just animal-friendly, they're also sustainably made and 100 percent carbon neutral. What more excuse could you possibly need to snap up a new pair of feel-good, do-good kicks? Reviewer Victoria S. writes, “I bought these looking for a more sustainable and girly version of a Converse style sneaker. I couldn’t be happier with what I have. The style and color are fun to wear and the price was a bonus! I went with a half size bigger than normal and had to really tighten them up. My next pair will be normal size. Great shoe!”
- Size Range: EU 35 to 47 (roughly US 4 to 12.5)
- What to Know: run large, leather upper, Meagan Markle-approved, require some breaking in
- Promising Review: “I’ve had my first pair of Veja Esplar sneakers for almost four years. The overall quality is great, and I love the Esplar style. They are simple and chic, too, and really withstand the test of time. They have gotten a ton of use and are still in great shape. I loved them so much that I bought a second pair. And then a third.” – Danielle Moss, fashion blogger
If you’re looking for a sustainable pair you can feel good about, Veja might just be the ticket. Since the brand’s inception in 2003, the founders have been focused on using eco-friendly materials and giving back to the communities of Brazil, where the sneakers are made. Many of Veja’s shoes require multiple wears to really break in, but according to reviewers the Esplar seems to need the least amount of time to feel molded to your feet. They’ve also been recommended for those with wider feet due to a slightly roomier toe box. Amanda Tarlton, a reporter for USA Today, writes, “Some customers seem to be split on the comfortability of these shoes, so let me clarify a few things. The sole provides an appropriate amount of cushioning and support, so my feet didn't ache after walking in them all day. However, they may take some time to break-in and should not be expected to feel as comfortable as a regular running shoe.”
- Size Range: IT 35 to 42 (roughly US 5 to 11)
- What to Know: made from Italian leather, surprisingly lightweight
- Promising Review: “I bought these for an upcoming trip to Italy and couldn’t believe how comfortable they were right out of the box. The inside has a cushion that feels like you’re walking on a pillow. Highly recommend!” – Deanna T., an M.Gemi reviewer
These M.Gemi sneakers are supremely chic and have no visible branding on the upper for an incredibly clean, stylish look. PureWow’s fashion editor Abby Hepworth has worn these shoes for years with minimal wear and tear. “They’re so easy to keep clean—just wipe down the leather if you notice any scuffs and give the laces a quick spin in the washing machine if need be—and look almost as fresh as the day I got them, even four years later. They’re very comfortable and offer plenty of support (I wear mine all the time for walking through the city or working at my standing desk), though not as much as a true orthotic shoe.” The brand suggests ordering a half size down from your usual, and Hepworth agrees. “I usually wear a size 10, and my feet are a bit wider at the toes, and the 40.5 fits perfectly.”
- Size Range: US 5 to 11
- What to Know: available only in whole sizes, water resistant, made from Italian leather
- Promising Review: “After wearing these shoes for over a year now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.From my experience, they're really comfortable, made with high-quality leather that lasts and they're easy to clean—making them easy to wear for just about any occasion.” – Remi Rosmarin, reporter for Insider
This Italy-based, American-run company is slowly but surely becoming ever more popular, and we think it won’t be long before you see these easy kicks all over town. Compared to Koio’s other basic white sneakers, the Capri is by far the most minimalist, meaning it’s more likely to stay en vogue longer than some of the more intricate styles, but we’re particular fans of the Avorio option, which incorporates both leather and suede. The result is a quasi-two-tone effect that’s incredibly subtle and will add just enough dimension to make them more interesting than a basic leather pair. There is, however, also an all-white all-leather version if that’s more your style. For those who typically wear a half size, the brand recommends rounding down for a more comfortable fit, and most reviewers second this.
- Size Range: US 5 to 11
- What to Know: partially made from recycled materials, lightweight, lots of arch support, run a half size small
- Promising Review: “I brought these on vacation to Spain and with minimal breaking in, these were comfortable for walking 9+ miles every day. I typically struggle with sufficient arch support, but had no pain and no issues with these. As an added bonus, these shoes are easy to slip on and off if you need to going through security. I‘ve already purchased a second pair” – Samantha A., a Nordstrom reviewer
Technically, these sneakers were designed for working out, but they have a more minimalist design than most other running shoes, making them a fun option for daily wear as well. The Cloud 5 is incredibly lightweight and comes with a Zero-Gravity foam sole that offers plenty of bounce back and cushioned support whether you’re running to catch the bus or simply strolling around a museum. It’s also made from 44 percent recycled materials for an eco-friendly boost. We’re also big fans of the locking lacing system, which makes it incredibly easy to pull these on and off without bothering with knots or bows (although there are traditional laces included in the box for those who prefer them). According to reviews, this style runs a half size small, and although it comes in only regular widths, one reviewer with wider feet found ordering the men’s style rather than the women’s gave her ample room in the toe box.
- Size Range: EU 34 to 42 (roughly US 4 to 12)
- What to Know: unisex design, available in whole sizes only, leather upper
- Promising Review: “I bought my first pair from Net-A-Porter ten years ago, and they’re just as fabulous as the day I got them. They fit like a glove and the craftsmanship is impeccable. These are a true investment and will never go out of style. Chic, comfortable from day one and will last a lifetime. A must have in anyone’s closet.” – a Nordstrom reviewer
Yes, it’s expensive, but the Achilles also has a devoted cult following due to its impeccable construction, high-quality materials (the upper is made from real leather) and timeless, no-frills design. Many reviewers preferred these over the brand’s other leather style, the Retro, because the Achilles features a lower rise and is a bit easier to break in. One thing to note: Many reviewers say these sneakers tend to run a little large, so if you’re in-between you might want to consider sizing down, although if you have wide feet you should be good with your usual size.
- Size Range: US 4 to 13
- What to Know: available in narrow, regular, wide and extra-wide widths, unisex design, minimal arch support
- Promising Review: “Love these so much, such a classic sneaker. They fit true to size and are way comfier than you might expect. They’re also surprisingly durable. My current pair has lasted through at least four summers now and the few patches of fraying just make them look even cooler, I think.” – Erin M., a Zappos reviewer
Keds Champion Originals have a wonderfully nostalgic retro vibe, and are the favorite pick for multiple PureWow editors. “They’re incredibly simple, fit well and are inexpensive enough that I don’t feel bad about having to buy a new pair once my current pair turns gray and can no longer be considered truly white sneakers (which is usually around six or seven months of consistent use,” says Hepworth. She does recommend using the Jason Markk cleaning kit to extend the life of worn-in Keds rather than tossing them in the washing machine, which can damage the rubber soles. Unfortunately, there isn’t much by way of support with these sneakers, but multiple reviewers found it easy to fit in their own orthotics by going up a half size.
- Size Range: US 5 to 16.5
- What to Know: available in quarter, half and three-quarter sizes, unisex design, good arch support, AAPI-owned business
- Promising Review: “I've had my atoms for over a year now, and I can tell you they're still amazing. I'm a tough customer to please when it comes to shoes. I had a pretty significant injury to my right foot about ten years ago and ever since then finding a shoe that is comfortable for both of my feet has been a literal pain. But my atoms are amazing. I can wear them all day or go on a five mile walk and my feet don't hurt. They also are in pretty good shape still even after a year of wear and tear. I highly recommend them.” – Crystal M., an Atoms reviewer
“These were my favorite house shoes throughout all of quarantine, and now I’ve continued to love wearing them all around NYC,” raves fashion stylist Dena S. “They’re crazy comfy and don’t make my feet sweat or chafe if I forgo socks. They’re a 10/10 for me.” Indeed, Atoms were designed with comfort at the forefront, with a cloud-like outsole that’s lightweight and flexible, and a woven upper that offers just enough stretch to move with your feet without having them flop around. Oh, and they’re also 100-percent vegan and recyclable too. One other fantastic feature is that all Atoms shoes come in both half and quarter sizes, from 5 up through a 16.5, so you’re pretty much guaranteed a perfect fit.
- Size Range: US 5 to 13
- What to Know: made from recycled materials, also available in the Classic Slip On and City Slip On styles
- Promising Review: “I was hesitant to purchase these shoes due to the price, but let me assure you they are worth every dollar. I purchased them for a week and a half trip in Europe where I walked over 20,000 steps a day. While my friends’ feet were killing them I was in great shape with these shoes on my feet! They are both comfortable and stylish and I could not recommend them more.” – Lauren, Rothy’s reviewer
Rothy’s shoes as a whole have two things going for them that we absolutely love: They’re comfortable right out of the box, no break-in period necessary, and they’re machine washable, so they stay looking like new for much longer than just about any other pair of shoes. This lace-up sneaker is no different. “I’ve owned Rothy’s lace-ups for a while now and have grown to really appreciate the simple, textured design,” say PureWow’s associate SEO editor, Marissa Wu. “The insole is sturdy and pretty comfortable for walking around the city or if I’m on my feet all day. I call these my ‘adventure shoes’—shoes I pack for trips to pair with any outfit. I also love that they’re machine-washable. A quick clean does wonders to brighten them up.” As a bonus, Rothy’s are also sustainably made using eco-friendly, ethically-sourced materials and fair-labor practices, with a recycling program to ensure the shoes don’t end up in a landfill. Oh, and did we mention Meghan Markle is a fan?
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.