13 (Literally) Cool Things to Do When It’s Too Hot to Function
Guys, it’s sweltering out there. But instead of hiding inside your apartment, you can stay cool at these ice-cold spots all over the city. You might even want to bring a sweater (seriously).
1. Grab a cone of fruit sorbet or fro-yo (think lavender orange or sweet strawberry) from Serendipity in Surfside. Just make sure to eat it really fast if you take it outside.
2. Chill out at Books & Books in Coral Gables. Find a book, order a coffee and spend the afternoon in climate-controlled bliss.
3. While everyone else is at the beach, it’s a great time to check out usually crowded museums like the Pérez Art Museum, Vizcaya and the Frost Science Museum. (Make sure to catch a late-night light show.)
4. Schedule a manicure at Vanity Projects. The NYC import is sleek, ultra-modern and very cool, and the nail art is beyond impressive (think everything from leopard print to marble to tiny roses). FYI: Appointments are required.
5. Take an underwater cycling class at Element Aqua, where you’ll ride in a waist-deep pool. The result: a low-impact sweat session that tones and tightens while managing to feel like a refreshing trip to the spa.
6. So there’s a bowling alley (and an ice-skating rink) inside our favorite nightclub. It’s chilly AF and fun as ever.
7. Slot in a Sunday brunch at Swan, where you can feast on bagel and lox towers, coconut pancakes and fruity cocktails—all served inside a spacious, made-for-Instagram dining room.
8. Unleash your inner child and bounce around Sky Zone. This well-padded space is packed with larger-than-life trampolines and enough cool air to make you sweat-proof.
9. Avoid turning on your oven at home and instead spend the afternoon at one of La Centrale’s cooking classes, like a Neapolitan pizza workshop or Tarts & Pies 101. Then hit up the food hall’s second-floor gelato counter, which boasts 16 types of gelato and 80 variations of chocolates.
10. Escape the heat with a spa treatment, like age-defying vino therapy at the Delano or a Himalayan stone massage at 1 Hotel South Beach. (It’s Miami Spa Month, after all.)
11. See a movie at CMX in the Brickell City Centre. It’s equipped with a full-service bar and kitchen, so you can do the whole dinner-and-a-movie thing without setting foot outside. We suggest a plate of tuna crudo with a side of truffle fries.
12. Go on a brewery tour with Miami Brew Bus. Depending on which tour you book, you’ll visit spots like Funky Buddha, Wynwood Brewing and J. Wakefield, and sample flights from each.
13. Cuddle with the cutest pups and kitties Miami has to offer at the Humane Society of Greater Miami. If you’re feeling frisky, adopt one.