15 (Literally) Cool Things to Do When It’s Too Hot to Function
So, it’s basically a sauna outside. Which is why the best way to stay cool during a Miami summer is to stay busy. And by busy, we mean inside with some major air conditioning. Here, 15 ways to beat the heat and still have fun.
1. Grab a cone of fruit sorbet or fro-yo (think lavender orange or sweet strawberry) from Serendipity in Wynwood…just make sure to eat it really fast if you take it outside.
2. Chill out at Books & Books in Coral Gables. Find a book, order a coffee and spend the afternoon. P.S. It’s always ice-cold inside.
3. When life gives you 90-degree weather, make frosé (aka frozen rosé). These amazing slushy cocktails are made with sugar, water, lemon juice and, of course, a bottle of rosé.
4. See a movie at CMX in the Brickell City Centre. Take note: This isn’t just any ole theater. It’s equipped with a full-service bar and kitchen, so come hungry. We suggest a plate of tuna crudo with a Funky Buddha Floridian brew.
6. Take an underwater cycling class at Element Aqua, where you’ll ride in a waist-deep pool. The result: a low-impact sweat session that accomplishes the same toning and tightening while managing to feel like a refreshing trip to the spa.
7. So there’s a bowling alley (and an ice-skating rink) inside our favorite nightclub. It’s chilly AF and fun as ever.
8. Use aloe ice cubes to cool down your skin and soothe sunburns. Ahh, we feel cooler just thinking about it.
9. Slot in a Sunday brunch at Prime Fish, where a seafood-filled buffet—stocked with everything from sushi and oysters to French toast and fresh veggies—is comfortably located inside a spacious (and air-conditioned) dining room with a view of South Beach.
10. Unleash your inner child and bounce around Sky Zone. This well-padded space is packedwith larger-than-life trampolines and enough cool air to make us sweat-proof.
11. Go on a brewery tour with Miami Brew Bus. Depending on your picks, visit spots like Funky Buddha, Wynwood Brewing and J. Wakefield, where you’ll sample flights from each.
12. Split a burger and a bowl of ramen with your bestie inside K Ramen. Burger. Beer., in the basement of the Townhouse Hotel. (Psst, this place is as cold as it is yummy.)
13. Cuddle with the cutest pups and kitties Miami has to offer at the Humane Society of Greater Miami. If you’re feeling frisky, adopt one, too.
14. Sip on a frosty brew at one of our favorite iced coffee spots in town. We suggest a coffee-based Florida Orange Fizz mocktail at Box Coffee.
15. Hide out from the heat with a spa treatment, like age-defying vino therapy at the Delano or a Himalayan stone massage at the Biltmore. (It’s Miami Spa Month, after all.)