Strawberry Delight Ice Cream Pie
Some vintage recipes should stay in the past—tomato aspic, for example—while others just need a little zhuzhing to bring them into the 21st century. That’s how we landed on this strawberry delight ice cream pie, a modern riff on the Jell-O and pretzel-based strawberry “delight” our grandmas used to lovingly dish up. (You might also know it as strawberry pretzel salad…though “salad” is a stretch.) But sticking with tradition, it calls for less than ten ingredients and minimal baking, because some things never go out of style.
3 cups mini pretzel twists
4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1½ pints strawberry ice cream
1 quart strawberries, halved or quartered if large
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Pulse the pretzels in a food processor until they have the texture of course sand. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can crush the pretzels in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin.) Transfer to a large bowl, and stir in 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar. Add the butter and mix with a silicone spatula until the texture resembles wet sand.
2. Pour the pretzel mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and press into an even layer, bringing some of the pretzels up the side of the plate. Transfer to the oven and bake until just golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool completely.
3. Add the ice cream to a large bowl, and use a silicone spatula or metal spoon to work it slightly until soft and spreadable. (You want it to be the texture of thick cake batter, but not so melted that it’s liquid-y.) Spread into an even layer in the bottom of the cooled pie crust. Wrap with plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer until firm, about 3 hours or overnight.
4. Combine the strawberries, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl to macerate while you make the whipped cream.
5. Using a whisk, hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar to medium peaks.
6. To assemble, remove the plastic wrap from the pie. Spread the whipped cream in an even layer on top of the ice cream, and top with the strawberries and some of their juices.