The Best Dishwasher-Safe Knife Sets of 2022
Let’s preface this by saying, we know—a pro-chef would never put a knife in the dishwasher. But we’re not Ina Garten, this isn’t the Cooking Channel, and we don’t have the time or energy to wash our knives by hand. That said, you’d probably like to avoid choosing a knife set that’ll chip, rust or snap after a couple washes. If that’s the case, you're in luck. Thanks to new materials and rust-resistant technology, some of today’s dishwasher-safe knives can last years. And, in case you were wondering, high carbon stainless steel is the best of the best when it comes to durability and rust resistance. See below for a roundup of the six best dishwasher-safe knife sets that’ll give Gordon Ramsay a run for his money.
THE BEST DISHWASHER-SAFE KNIFE SET, WINNERS AT A GLANCE
- Best Overall: Henckels 1895 Refined 15-Piece Knife Block Set
- Best Budget: Astercook 15-Piece Chef Knife Block Set
- Most Splurge-Worthy: Zwilling Pro 19-Piece Knife Set with Block
- Best Design: Cuisinart 15-Piece Classic Forged Knife Set
- Best for Beginners: Kitchenaid 14-Piece Triple Rivet Cutlery Set
- Best With Blade Guards: Cuisinart 12-Piece Multicolored Knife Set with Blades
- What’s Included: Six 4.5-inch steak knives, 3-inch paring knife, 5-inch serrated utility knife, 7-inch santoku knife hollow edge, 8-inch chef's knife, 8-inch bread knife, sharpening steel, kitchen shears and a hardwood block
This set has an average of 4.7 stars out of more than 8,800 reviews on Amazon for good reason. These stainless steel knives boast a full tang design, meaning the blade material runs all the way through the knife, making it evenly balanced and less likely to bend or break. The set comes with 15 pieces that are ultralightweight (great for maneuverability) and feature satin-finished blades that offer precision cutting. “You’ll also score two Santoku knives, famous for their flat blades that stay still and steady when in use (think cleaver meets chef’s knife), along with a handy sharpening steel and a pair of kitchen shears,” adds food editor Taryn Pire. AND it comes with a handsome hardwood block that ensures you’ll never lose a knife again.
- What’s Included: Six 4.5-inch serrated steak knives, 8-inch chef knife, 8-inch slicing knife, 8-inch serrated bread knife, 7-inch santoku knife, 5-inch utility knife, 3.5-inch paring knife, kitchen shears, sharpener and a black wooden block
Another Amazon fave? This affordable 15-piece set with a 4.7 average rating out of 1,098 reviews. Manufactured in Germany from carbon stainless steel, these knives are coated with Teflon (AKA the gold standard of nonstick material), so they’re super easy to clean. Not only does the set feature a fully exposed tang for easy cutting, but it also comes with a kitchen shear, sharpener and elegant black hardwood block. “Sharp, easy to hold, [and] dishwasher safe… amazing,” raves one reviewer. “Even the scissors that come in the set are super sharp. If you’re on the fence, try them; the price alone is worth it!”
- What’s Included: Eight steak knives (non-serrated), 2.5-inch peeler, 4-inch parer, 4.5-inch utility, 5-inch serrated utility, 6-inch utility, 8-inch chef, 7-inch santoku hollow edge, 8-inch bread knife, kitchen shears, 9-inch sharpening steel and a bamboo storage block
If you’re going to spend over $300 on a knife set, it’d better be worth it. And trust us when we say this 19-piece set is it when it comes to durable, dishwasher-safe knives. Zwilling crafts its blades through a Sigmaforge process, which uses unique forging technology for exceptional strength, flexibility and durability. Plus, the company uses an ice-hardening technique that hardens and sharpens blades to make knives corrosion-resistant and highly elastic. One reviewer writes: “I have owned these knives for several months now [and I wash them with my other silverware]. They are VERY sharp when new and STILL very sharp. This is more than I have ever spent on any knife set and so far I am not disappointed.” Oh, and did we mention that the set also comes with a sharpening steel, kitchen shears and a 20-slot block?
- What’s Included: Six 4.5-inch steak knives, 8-inch chef knife, 8-inch slicing knife, 7-inch santoku knife, 5.5-inch utility knife, 3.5-inch paring knife, 2.75-inch bird's beak paring knife, 8-inch sharpening steel, all-purpose household shears and a white wooden block
Aside from its obvious good looks (hello, Newstalgic design), this set gets top marks for its durability. Each knife features high-carbon stainless steel and an extra-wide forged safety bolster with rivets on the handle (for easy maneuvering). What’s more, the rivets are secured to each knife’s full-tang blade to ensure that it doesn’t fall apart in the dishwasher. “These knives are super cute and vintage looking…The steak knives cut through meat like butter [and] they’ve held up perfectly [in the dishwasher] so far,” says one reviewer. And another reviewer adds: “If you take care of these knives [they are] not only beautiful but durable and DO NOT RUST if you immediately hand dry from the dishwasher.” But let’s forget about all of that for a second and take a moment to envision this gorgeous, vintage-inspired set on our kitchen’s colored quartzite countertops. Sold.
- What’s Included: Six steak knives, 8-inch chef’s knife, 3.5-inch paring knife, 8-inch bread knife, 4.5-inch santoku knife, 5.5-inch utility knife, kitchen shears and a silver knife block
Unlike most kitchen knife sets, this one was tested to withstand your dishwasher (but FWIW, handwashing is always safer). Each knife is ergonomically engineered with a full tang and bolster and has polished triple-steel rivets that reinforce and strengthen each handle. And that’s not even the best part. The knife block comes with a built-in diamond grit sharpener that makes sharpening way more convenient. “I’ve run [this set] through the dishwasher after every use. While I immediately wipe them clean and do not let them soak in water (like I do everything else), I don't hurry and rescue them out of the dishwasher or anything. [I] just let them air dry in there. So far, I've noticed zero spotting/rust spots. I really believe these are higher quality than my previous 'painted' red set,” explains one reviewer.
- What’s Included: 8-inch chef's knife, 8-inch slicing knife, 8-inch bread knife, 7-inch santoku knife, 5.5-inch utility knife, 3.5-inch paring knife, and six blade guards
Last but not least, a playful pick that can add an eclectic accent to your kitchen (but don’t worry, minimalists, this set also comes in a chic black metallic finish). Not only does this stainless steel set include 12 knives with a durable, ceramic nonstick coating, but each one has a lightweight, ergonomic handle that makes slicing and dicing a breeze. “We have purchased 4 of these sets [because] the colors are fun and the knives are exceptionally sharp. They hold up very well in the dishwasher, [and] the color finish resists water spots,” writes one reviewer. An added bonus? Each knife comes with a color-coded blade guard that helps prevent cross-contamination during food prep.