Let’s preface this by saying, we know a pro chef would never put a knife in the dishwasher. But we’re not Ina Garten, this isn’t the Cooking Channel and we just don’t have the time or energy to wash our knives by hand. That said, you’d probably like to avoid choosing a set that’ll chip, rust or snap after a couple of machine cycles. Thanks to new materials and rust-resistant technology, some of today’s dishwasher-safe knife sets can last you years. And, in case you were wondering, high-carbon stainless steel is the best of the best when it comes to durability and rust resistance. See below for a roundup of the six best dishwasher-safe knife sets that’ll give Gordon Ramsay a run for his money.
The 6 Best Dishwasher-Safe Knife Sets to Buy to Make Your Life Easier
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
The Best Dishwasher-Safe Knife Sets at a Glance
- Best Overall: Henckels 15-Piece Knife Set
- Best on a Budget: Astercook 15-Piece Chef's Knife Set
- Most Splurge-Worthy: Zwilling Pro 19-Piece Knife Set
- Best Design: Cuisinart 15-Piece Classic Knife Set
- Best for Beginners: Kitchenaid 14-Piece Triple Rivet Knife Set
- Best Blade Guards: Cuisinart 12-Piece Knife Set
- What’s Included: Six 4.5-inch steak knives, a 3-inch paring knife, a 5-inch serrated utility knife, a 7-inch Santoku knife hollow edge, an 8-inch chef's knife, an 8-inch bread knife, sharpening steel, kitchen shears and a hardwood block
This set has an average of 4.7 stars out of nearly 15,000 reviews on Amazon for good reason. Its stainless-steel knives boasts a full tang design, meaning the blade material runs all the way through the knife, making it evenly balanced and less likely to bend or break. It comes with 15 pieces that are ultra-lightweight, making them great for maneuverability, and feature satin-finished blades that offer precision cutting. “You’ll also score two Santoku knives, famous for their flat blades that stay still and steady when in use (think cleaver meets chef’s knife), along with a handy sharpening steel and a pair of kitchen shears,” adds food editor Taryn Pire. And, it comes with a handsome hardwood block that ensures you’ll never lose a knife again.
Best on a Budget
- What’s Included: Six 4.5-inch serrated steak knives, an 8-inch chef's knife, an 8-inch slicing knife, an 8-inch serrated bread knife, a 7-inch Santoku knife, a 5-inch utility knife, a 3.5-inch paring knife, kitchen shears, sharpener and a black wooden block
Another Amazon fave? This affordable 15-piece set with a 4.7 average rating out of nearly 3,000 reviews. Manufactured in Germany from carbon stainless steel, these knives are coated with Teflon (aka the gold standard of nonstick material), so they’ll be super easy to clean. Not only does it feature a fully exposed tang for easy cutting, but it also comes with kitchen shears, a sharpener and an elegant black hardwood block. “Sharp, easy to hold, [and] dishwasher safe… amazing,” raves one buyer. “Even the scissors that come in the set are super sharp. If you’re on the fence, try them; the price alone is worth it!”
- What’s Included: Eight non-serrated steak knives, a 2.5-inch peeler, a 4-inch parer, a 4.5-inch utility knife, a 5-inch serrated utility knife, a 6-inch utility knife, an 8-inch chef's knife, a 7-inch Santoku hollow edge, an 8-inch bread knife, kitchen shears, a 9-inch sharpening steel and a bamboo storage block
If you’re going to spend over $300 on a knife set, it’d better be worth it. And trust us when we say, this 19-piece set is it when it comes to durable, dishwasher-safe knives. Zwilling crafts its blades through a Sigmaforge process, which uses unique forging technology for exceptional strength, flexibility and durability. Plus, the company uses an ice-hardening technique that hardens and sharpens blades to make knives corrosion-resistant and highly elastic. One shopper writes: “I have owned these knives for several months now [and I wash them with my other silverware]. They are VERY sharp when new and STILL very sharp. This is more than I have ever spent on any knife set and so far I am not disappointed.” Oh, and did we mention that the set also comes with a sharpening steel, kitchen shears and a 20-slot block?
- What’s Included: Six 4.5-inch steak knives, an 8-inch chef's knife, an 8-inch slicing knife, a 7-inch santoku knife, a 5.5-inch utility knife, a 3.5-inch paring knife, a 2.75-inch bird's beak paring knife, an 8-inch sharpening steel, all-purpose household shears and a wooden block
Aside from its obvious good looks (hello, Newstalgic design), this set gets top marks for its durability. Each knife features high-carbon stainless steel and an extra-wide forged safety bolster with rivets on the handle for easy maneuvering. What’s more, the rivets are secured to each knife’s full-tang blade to ensure that they won't fall apart in the dishwasher. But let’s forget about all of that for a second and take a moment to envision this gorgeous, vintage-inspired set on our kitchen’s colored quartzite countertops. “These knives are super cute and vintage looking," writes one reviewer. "The steak knives cut through meat like butter [and] they’ve held up perfectly [in the dishwasher] so far." Another adds: “If you take care of these knives [they are] not only beautiful but durable and DO NOT RUST if you immediately hand dry from the dishwasher.” Sold.
Best for Beginners
- What’s Included: Six steak knives, an 8-inch chef’s knife, a 3.5-inch paring knife, an 8-inch bread knife, a 4.5-inch Santoku knife, a 5.5-inch utility knife, kitchen shears and a silver knife block
Unlike most kitchen knife sets, this one was tested to withstand your dishwasher (but FWIW, hand-washing is always safer). Each knife is ergonomically engineered with a full tang and bolster and has polished triple-steel rivets that reinforce and strengthen each handle. And that’s not even the best part. The block itself comes with a built-in diamond grit sharpener that makes sharpening way more convenient. “I’ve run [this set] through the dishwasher after every use. While I immediately wipe them clean and do not let them soak in water (like I do everything else), I don't hurry and rescue them out of the dishwasher or anything. [I] just let them air dry in there. So far, I've noticed zero spotting/rust spots. I really believe these are higher quality than my previous 'painted' red set,” explains one reviewer.
Best Blade Guards
- What’s Included: An 8-inch chef's knife, an 8-inch slicing knife, an 8-inch bread knife, a 7-inch Santoku knife, a 5.5-inch utility knife, a 3.5-inch paring knife and six blade guards
Last but not least is a playful pick that can add an eclectic accent to your kitchen. Not only does this stainless-steel set include 12 knives with a durable, ceramic nonstick coating, but each one has a lightweight, ergonomic handle that makes slicing and dicing a breeze. “We have purchased four of these sets [because] the colors are fun and the knives are exceptionally sharp," wrote one happy camper. "They hold up very well in the dishwasher, [and] the color finish resists water spots." An added bonus? Each one comes with a color-coded blade guard that helps prevent cross-contamination during food prep.
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.
Why You Should Trust Us
PureWow is the best friend you never had when it comes to finding the best, most useful lifestyle products online. Founded in 2010, our company’s editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which ones are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series, which sees each and every item we test being ranked on a 100-point scale of awesomeness, to the painstakingly curated lists our fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family editors create as vertical experts, you can trust that our recommendations include some of the greatest items you’ll find on the internet. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.
Taryn Pire is PureWow's associate food editor and has been writing about all things delicious since 2016. She's developed recipes, reviewed restaurants and investigated food trends at Food52, New Jersey Family Magazine and Taste Talks. When she's not trying the latest TikTok food hack (looking at you, Kool-Aid pickles), she's having popcorn for dinner and posting about it on Instagram.