A lot of low-carb diets (which, FYI, the American Academy of Family Physicians defines as an intake of 20 to 60 grams of carbohydrates per day) rely heavily on meat. But don’t fret, vegetarians. Plenty of plant-based options are light on carbs but still filling, thanks to tofu, healthy fats, fiber-rich veggies and legumes. Need some inspiration? Here are 35 low-carb vegetarian recipes we love.
35 Low-Carb Vegetarian Recipes That Are Actually Tasty
2. Alison Roman’s Roasted Squash With Yogurt And Spiced Buttered Pistachios (11g Carbs)
You could serve this hearty caramelized squash as a side, but it also makes a mean main course for fewer people. (Don’t get us started on that yogurt sauce.)
3. Turmeric-spiced Cauliflower And Broccoli With Capers (13g Carbs)
The best part about this sunny dish? You just toss everything together and pop it in the oven. Twenty-five minutes later, a star is born.
8. Tomato Salad With Grilled Halloumi And Herbs (8g Carbs)
Who needs a giant steak when you have gooey grilled cheese?
9. Quiche With Gluten-free Sweet Potato Crust (15g Carbs)
Ditch the traditional crust and you’re left with a tasty and good-for-you go-to for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
14. Sweet Potato, Tomato, Kale And Halloumi Sheet Tray (16g Carbs)
When you want a homemade dinner but don’t actually feel like cooking, the baking sheet is your best friend. Plus, there’s almost no cleanup after.
17. Vegan Spaghetti Squash With Mushroom Marinara Sauce (25g Carbs)
It might not be exactly like your nonna’s version, but considering it tastes like it simmered all day, we feel confident it would still make her proud.
18. Baked Zucchini ‘ziti’ Spirals With Mozzarella (18g Carbs)
We’ll always have a soft spot for decadent, carb-y traditional baked ziti, but this equally cheesy version is doing a good job of filling in.
19. Charred Broccoli With Sriracha Almond Butter Sauce (25g Carbs)
We’d like to eat this riff on Thai peanut sauce with a spoon.
21. Grilled Peach And Halloumi Salad With Lemon-pesto Dressing (21g Carbs)
A salad that’s filling enough to be a meal? You can thank our BFF halloumi for that.
24. Zoodles With Tomato Sauce And Mozzarella (22g Carbs)
Sorry, spaghetti. We’re breaking up with you and running away with this Italian-inspired number. (Fresh basil, on the other hand, we’ll never get tired of.)
25. Charred Cauliflower With Crunchy Garlic Chile Oil (8g Carbs)
Meat need not apply: This side is spicy, sweet, crunchy and just as satisfying as any chicken dinner.
26. One-pan Eggs With Asparagus And Tomatoes (13g Carbs)
A 30-minute meal that works for breakfast, lunch or dinner—huzzah.
28. Avocado Greek Salad (12g Carbs)
You totally have 15 minutes to spare.
29. Cauliflower ‘potato’ Salad (9g Carbs)
When the carb cravings hit, cauliflower is here to sub in for potatoes! And yes, it works.
30. Keto Instant Pot Greek Cauliflower Rice (6g Carbs)
Plain cauliflower rice is just fine. But this Greek cauliflower rice, from Jen Fisch is even better.
31. Cauliflower Tortillas (5g Carbs)
Call all your keto friends! Taco Tuesday is super low-carb again!
32. Mexican Zucchini Boats Ingredients (24.5g Carbs)
Possibly the easiest dinner you’ll ever make.
33. Baby Vegetables With Orange And Thyme (14g Carbs)
It’s flavorful and easy, with pretty much no cleanup.
34. Crispy Tofu Bites (10g Carbs)
You'll want it on hand for those times when you're craving a nibble but also want to keep it healthy-ish.
35. Rainbow Vegetable Skewers (3g Carbs)
These rainbow vegetable skewers contain one ingredient each, so they’ll grill to perfection.