Pesto is one of those sauces that enhances pretty much any food it's paired with. Take, for example, zucchini noodles (aka zoodles). A healthy coating of homemade basil pesto takes zoodles to a whole new level. Add some fresh Parmesan and you're golden.
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, smashed
⅓ cup pine nuts
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more as needed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
4 zucchini, cut into noodles (using a gadget like this)
Parmesan cheese curls, as needed for garnish
Red-pepper flakes, as needed for garnish (optional)
1. Make the Pesto: In a food processor or blender, pulse the basil, garlic, pine nuts and grated Parmesan until coarsely chopped.
2. With the food processor running, add the olive oil gradually and mix until the pesto is a thick paste. Add more olive oil as needed to adjust the consistency. Add salt and pepper.
3. Make the Zoodles: In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the zucchini noodles and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
4. Add the pesto and toss until the noodles are well coated.
5. Serve warm, garnished with Parmesan curls and red-pepper flakes, if using, to taste.