15 Big-Batch Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Make in Advance
Whether you’re hosting a dozen relatives or a small group of friends for Turkey Day, you need to prepare something other than just, well, turkey. These big-batch Thanksgiving recipes are made for taking second (and third) helpings, and many of them can be made in advance. Try easy appetizers, impressive-yet-fast mains and even a festive fall soup.
1. Easy Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes (10 Servings)
Watch as we dive off the deep end into this creamy, cheesy, thyme-spiked sauce. By “we,” we mean beautifully shingled, tender potatoes.
2. Garlic Parmesan Knots (12 Servings)
Get bready for the gang to come for dinner with this garlicky goodness—you will knot be disappointed. Plus, the recipe makes 24 rolls, which means enough for everyone.
3. Roasted Squash Salad with Crispy Shallots and Balsamic Reduction (8 Servings)
Because it’s squash season, crispy shallots are like healthy onion rings, and your Thanksgiving table needs a salad to balance out all the creamy cheesy things.
4. Mini Everything Pretzel Dogs (25 servings)
Is it even a party without a tray of pigs in a blanket? This version adds “everything” seasoning for extra crunch and extra flavor.
5. Kale and Brussels Sprouts Caesar Slaw (8 servings)
Even salad haters can’t deny the allure of a Caesar-ish salad. You won’t even realize how many vegetables you’re eating under that flavor-packed dressing.
6. Sweet Potato Crostini (15 Servings)
Getting your keto on? You can still indulge with these appetizers that replace the bread with roasted sweet potato. Genius.
7. Apple Walnut Sausage Stuffing (8 Servings)
You can’t forget the classics at Thanksgiving. This one has an addition of crisp apples that lends sweetness and texture.
8. Baked Brie with Figs, Pistachios, and Orange (10 Servings)
To keep hangry friends and family at bay, break out a wheel of melty Brie topped with a satisfying sticky-sweet-salty topping.
9. Hasselback Butternut Squash, Two Ways (12 Servings)
Will this get more oohs and ahhs than the turkey when it hits the table? That’s just a gamble you’ll have to take with this tender, sweet-or-savory squash. (You can choose maple pecan or brown butter sage.) Serve this as a side to double its portions.
10. The Fastest Roast Turkey (10 Servings)
Juuuust in case you don’t have a go-to turkey recipe, this one can cook in just 33 minutes! You read that right: 33 minutes.
11. 15-Minute Microwave Mashed Potatoes (10 Servings)
This is another twofer: It’s fast and feeds everyone at the table. And who doesn’t love mashed potatoes?
12. 5-Ingredient Red-Wine Cranberry Sauce (10 Servings)
Simple but necessary. The little burgundy dress of the Thanksgiving table.
13. White Pesto Spinach Lasagna (10 Servings)
Why not add lasagna to your Thanksgiving dinner lineup? It can be made in advance; has many layers of sauce, spinach and wild mushrooms that’ll keep hot for a long time; and it’s a great vegetarian main.
14. Smoky Pumpkin Beer and Cheddar Potato Soup with Candied Bacon Popcorn (12 Servings)
This soup may have a long name, but don’t be intimidated—you can make a huge batch (we suggest doubling it) of the festive concoction ahead, and sprinkle on the candied bacon popcorn garnish right before serving.
15. Baked Mac-and-Cheese Bites (24 Servings)
Make these as an appetizer or a fun, kid-friendly version of the classic side dish.