Quick: What Movie Is the Song ‘I Say a Little Prayer' From?
Movies and music go hand in hand. And if you’re anything like us, you can listen to a clip from a song and instantly associate it with the movie or scene it reminds you of. Put your soundtrack knowledge to the test with these 14 classic songs paired with 14 classic movies.
1. ‘You Don't Own Me’ by Lesley Gore: ‘The First Wives Club’
Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton’s rendition of this original girl power anthem is everything.
2. ‘Don't You (Forget About Me)’ by Simple Minds: ‘The Breakfast Club’
In the cruel pecking order that is high school, everyone is equal in detention.
3. ‘My Heart Will Go On’ by Celine Dion: ‘Titanic’
Where would we be without the “I’ll never let go” dialogue-dubbed version?
4. ‘I Say a Little Prayer’ by Dionne Warwick: ‘My Best Friend’s Wedding’
No better way to convince a room full of people that you’re engaged to your gay bestie than by recounting your love story through song.
5. ‘Take My Breath Away' by Berlin: ‘Top Gun’
Peak Tom Cruise and it won an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1986. Honorable mention goes to Kenny Loggins’s "Danger Zone" and the glistening display of testosterone that is the Maverick and Goose versus Iceman and Slider volleyball game scene.
6. ‘(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life’ by Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes: ‘Dirty Dancing’
Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
7. ‘Don't Want to Miss a Thing’ by Aerosmith: ‘Armageddon’
The one film that single-handedly takes credit for the categorization of animal crackers as both children's and “adult” snack food.
8. ‘You've Got a Friend in Me’ by Randy Newman: ‘Toy Story’
A heartwarming ballad that jump-started the love story of Woody, Little Bo Peep and her many sheep.
9. ‘Eye of the Tiger’ by Survivor: ‘Rocky III’
The only theme song that gets us through the arduous daily task of washing, blow-drying, styling and putting on makeup.
11. ‘Gangsta’s Paradise’ by Coolio: ‘Dangerous Minds’
Thank you, 1995, for this gem.
12. ‘Flashdance...What a Feeling’ by Irene Cara: ‘Flashdance’
Pull. The. Chord.
13. ‘I Will Always Love You’ by Whitney Houston: ‘The Bodyguard’
Frank Farmer, Rachel Marron and Whitney Houston’s epic vocals. *Lips quiver*
14. ‘Stayin’ Alive' by Bee Gees: ‘Saturday Night Fever’
When John Travolta and his gyrating hips arrived.