Jalapeño Popper Omelet
Finger food, meet breakfast. This jalapeño popper omelet is stuffed with a cheesy, spicy blend of chiles, bacon, cheddar and cream cheese, so it basically tastes like your all-time favorite appetizer. (It’s also keto-friendly and low carb, NBD.) Brunch, anyone?
Psst: Don’t be intimidated by the idea of making an omelet—it’s actually one of the easiest ways to prepare eggs, if you follow a few key steps. Make sure to preheat your pan, then start stirring the second the eggs go in. Once you have large curds, stop stirring so the bottom can set. To assemble like a pro, use your spatula to fold the omelet over the toppings as you’re sliding it onto a plate; this will give you a little leverage.
4 pieces bacon, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 jalapeño, minced
6 large eggs, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
Chopped fresh chives, to serve
1. Add the bacon to a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and jalapeño until well combined. Set aside.
3. Crack three of the eggs into another medium bowl. Season with a generous pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper; whisk until well combined.
4. Heat an 8- or 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, then pour in the whisked eggs. Using a silicone spatula, stir constantly to form large curds, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan as you stir. Allow the eggs to cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes, then top one half of the omelet with about half of the cream cheese mixture and half of the bacon.
5. Reduce the heat to low and place a lid over the skillet. Cook until the eggs are mostly set but still slightly creamy and the cream cheese mixture is soft, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and use a spatula to fold the plain half of the omelet over the toppings; slide onto a plate and top with chopped chives.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the remaining eggs, cream cheese mixture, bacon and chives.