Bourbon Apple Crisp à la Mode
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
Apples, streusel and ice cream are all delicious on their own, but hard to beat when they come together in one dessert. This bourbon apple crisp, from Eric and Shanna Jones’s new cookbook, Healthier Southern Cooking, is lightly sweetened, generously spiced and even better when served à la mode.
“The apples are peeled and chopped into the bite-sized pieces to ensure you get a little bit of everything in each bite,” they write. “And because we want the apples to shine and not get lost in overpowering sweetness, they are tossed in delicious maple syrup and bourbon with a bit of brown sugar and some spices, which bring it all home. The pecans in the crispy oat crumble give this dessert some extra texture.”
Reprinted with permission from Healthier Southern Cooking by Eric and Shanna Jones, Page Street Publishing Co. 2022.
4 cups (500g) peeled and finely chopped Honeycrisp apples
⅓ cup (80ml) maple syrup
1¼ teaspoon (4g) ground cinnamon, divided
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon (15ml) bourbon
1 tablespoon (15ml) apple juice
3 tablespoons (42g) brown sugar, divided
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons (198g) unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons (16g) cornstarch
2 tablespoons (30ml) water
½ cup (63g) all-purpose flour
½ cup (45g) rolled oats
½ cup (63 g) pecans, coarsely chopped
¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Vanilla ice cream, as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 12-inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, combine the apples, maple syrup, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, nutmeg, bourbon, apple juice, 1 tablespoon (14g) brown sugar and 2 tablespoons (28g) butter in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients together with a spatula. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water to create a slurry. Add the slurry to the apple mixture and stir to combine. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, remaining 2 tablespoons (28g) brown sugar, pecans, remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, Himalayan pink salt and remaining ¾ cup (170g) butter. Mix the ingredients together with a spatula until a crumbly dough forms.
4. To assemble the crisp, pour the apple filling into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the crumbly dough on top of the apples. Bake the crisp until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the apple crisp from the oven and cool for 15 minutes.
5. Serve the apple crisp à la mode with the vanilla ice cream.