Mini Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf
Meatloaf may not be the most glamorous dish, but it is a classic comfort food that everyone craves from time to time. (Admit it--you love it.) And for those times, turn to our updated recipe. We make mini loaves (we’re aiming for the Cutest Meatloaf Award) and wrap each one in bacon. Our only suggestion for making it better: Add a side of mashed potatoes.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon apple-cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1½ pounds ground meat (beef, pork, turkey, chicken or a mixture)
¾ cup plain bread crumbs
6 strips bacon, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute more. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and let cool about 5 minutes.
3. Add the Worcestershire, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and egg to the bowl with the onion and mix to combine.
4. Add the meat and mix to combine fully. Add the bread crumbs and mix to combine.
5. Divide the mixture into four even portions and then form into miniature loaves on the prepared baking sheet. Each loaf should be about 4 inches long and 1½ to 2 inches wide.
6. Wrap each loaf with 3 pieces of the halved bacon.
7. Bake the meatloaves until the bacon is well browned and they are cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving warm.
Note: If you have mini loaf pans, you can use them in step 5 instead of forming the loaves on the baking sheet. In step 6, just lay the bacon strips on top of the loaves in the pans.