The Duke and Duchess of Sussex revealed yesterday that they are stepping back as senior members of the royal family. The couple made the big announcement on their joint Instagram account and shared a lengthy caption explaining their decision.
Since the news broke, royal fans everywhere have been speculating about what that exactly means for the couple. Of course, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry anticipated that there would be hundreds of questions to follow, so they laid out the details of their plan on their website, SussexRoyal.com. Talk about being prepared.
The new site covers everything from becoming financially independent to their new media relations policy and more. Below, five questions and answers directly from their website about the new roles of the duke and duchess.
1. “Why are The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing this new working model?”
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex take great pride in their work and are committed to continuing their charitable endeavours as well as establishing new ones. In addition, they value the ability to earn a professional income, which in the current structure they are prohibited from doing. For this reason they have made the choice to become members of the Royal Family with financial independence. Their Royal Highnesses feel this new approach will enable them to continue to carry out their duties for Her Majesty The Queen, while having the future financial autonomy to work externally.”
2. “By becoming financially independent, will The Duke and Duchess of Sussex be cutting ties with the monarchy?”
“As working members of the Royal Family, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain dedicated to maximising Her Majesty’s legacy both in the UK and throughout the Commonwealth. They will continue to proudly do so by supporting their patronages and carrying out works for The Monarchy within the UK or abroad, as called upon.”
3. “Given their transition into members of the Royal Family with financial independence, will The Duke and Duchess of Sussex maintain their residence at Frogmore Cottage?”
“Frogmore Cottage will continue to be the property of Her Majesty the Queen. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to use Frogmore Cottage – with the permission of Her Majesty The Queen – as their official residence as they continue to support the Monarchy, and so that their family will always have a place to call home in the United Kingdom.”
4. “How will The Duke and Duchess of Sussex handle media relations in the future?”
“In the spring of 2020, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be adopting a revised media approach to ensure diverse and open access to their work. This adjustment will be a phased approach as they settle into the new normality of their updated roles. This updated approach aims to:
- Engage with grassroots media organisations and young, up-and-coming journalists;
- Invite specialist media to specific events/engagements to give greater access to their cause-driven activities, widening the spectrum of news coverage;
- Provide access to credible media outlets focused on objective news reporting to cover key moments and events;
- Continue to share information directly to the wider public via their official communications channels;
- No longer participate in the Royal Rota system.”
5. “Why have The Duke and Duchess of Sussex elected to change their media policy now?”
“The Duke and Duchess have chosen to revise their media policy to reflect both their forthcoming change as members of the Royal Family with financial independence, and their wish to reshape and broaden access to their work.”
For a complete list of questions and answers visit SussexRoyal.com