Over a year ago, our favorite This Is Us character, Jack (Milo Ventimiglia), met his untimely demise in the season two “Super Bowl Sunday” episode of the hit NBC series. Sure, the loss still feels fresh (especially since the This Is Us timeline jumps around so much), but for some fans Jack’s death is still an enigma. You see, more than a year and a half after the devastating episode that finally revealed how Jack died, people are still avidly Googling, “How did Jack die in This Is Us?” Maybe they’re behind and trying to catch up on the series or maybe they’re emotional masochists reliving the pain for the fun of it. Either way, it seems prudent that we spell out how the Pearson patriarch met his maker.
So, how did Jack die? Long story short: cardiac arrest due to smoke inhalation from a fire caused by a Crock-Pot. Yikes.
It all started with a faulty (potentially evil) Crock-Pot, which Rebecca (Mandy Moore) and Jack were gifted by their previous next-door neighbors, Sally and George. While packing up their house to move, George realizes he and Sally no longer need the Crock-Pot. So, he heads over to young Jack and Rebecca’s house to offer it to them. They gladly accept the hand-me-down, which George is sure to point out has a fussy switch.
Fast-forward about 17 years later and the Pearson family members are basking in a post–Super Bowl haze. Randall (Nigel Fitch) is somehow still hungry, so he heads to the kitchen to get a snack. Jack hears him and goes to check on his son. They chat for a bit and after Randall returns to his room, Jack sweeps the floor, does the dishes and turns off the Crock-Pot before heading to bed himself.