If that old mattress of yours is better at keeping you up all night than it is at lulling you off to La La Land, we’ve got news for you: It may be time to shop for a new one. Before you cue the groans, however, there is a silver lining here. You can push aside all those images you have of haggling with a salesman over your new bed’s price, then ruining your floors, scuffing up the walls and throwing out your back as you awkwardly drag your heavy new mattress up the stairs à la Friends. Nowadays, you can get an in-the-box solution delivered to your doorstep from Amazon with the click of a button, which you can open up in your bedroom and wait for it to expand right then and there—if you can figure out which one to pick among the site’s 1,000+ results, that is! Before you look for the best mattress on Amazon, however, there are a few things to consider.
10 of the Best Mattresses on Amazon
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
How to Choose a Mattress
So you've decided which type of mattress you want—now what? Here are a few tips to help finalize your decision.
- Consider the firmness: Do you need a really stiff, firm mattress in order to sleep or do you like to be cuddled by a super-soft bed?
- Test it out: Considering that a good mattress should last you many years, it’s a great idea to test it out before fully committing to it. Take advantage of the trial periods companies offer with your online purchase.
- Consider the shelf-life: Before buying, check out how many months or years the manufacturer will cover the cost on it should anything go awry.
- Consider the material: What your mattress is made out of has a lot to do with its quality and overall comfort. Some of the most common mattress types you might come across are listed below.
- Memory foam: These mattresses are quite common and offer elastic-like qualities, allowing them to contour to your form before bouncing back to their original shape when not in use.
- Gel memory foam mattress: These share many of the same features as a memory foam mattress but also have the addition of a cooling property.
- Innerspring mattress: This more traditional mattress style features interconnected metal springs at the core that are designed to support your weight and respond to your movement. This mattress is usually more affordable but might be more prone to sag as the springs wear out.
- Pocket-coil mattress: Instead of interconnected metal springs, this mattress type wraps each coil in a fabric that is surrounded by a support material, such as memory foam. The plus side to this type of bed is that the pocket-coil material will better absorb your movements as you roll, so you won't disturb your sleeping partner.
- Latex mattress: Latex mattresses offer plenty of benefits. They’re durable, largely eco-friendly, have cooling properties and may even relieve some of your pressure. They’ll also absorb your movement better than an innerspring mattress, though not quite as well as a memory foam one.
- Hybrid mattress: These mattresses usually combine an innerspring system with either memory foam, latex or even a gel-infused material that can be great for sleepers who need support and durability.
Don’t lose sleep over making your selection: We've done the work—and even some of the sleeping—necessary to find the best mattress on Amazon, whether you're looking for super comfort for a sore back, classic style, cooling qualities or one with hypoallergenic materials.
The Best Mattress on Amazon at a Glance
Best Mattress for Back Pain on Amazon: Sweetnight Queen Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Best Budget Mattress on Amazon: Tuft & Needle Original Queen Foam Mattress
Best Memory Foam Mattress on Amazon: Signature Design by Ashley Queen Chime 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
Best Latex Hybrid Mattress on Amazon: Lucid 12-Inch Latex Hybrid Mattress
Best Plus Mattress on Amazon: Vibe 12-Inch Queen Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Best Pocket Spring Mattress on Amazon: Flash Furniture 12-Inch Capri Pocket Spring Mattress
Best Gel Memory Foam Mattress on Amazon: Lucid 10-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
1. Casper Original Queen Foam Mattress
Best overall mattress on Amazon
As the very best mattress-in-a-box we’ve ever tried, Casper’s Original Queen foam mattress is popular for a reason. It’s got softer foam around your shoulders to keep you comfortable and help to relieve your tension and firmer foam around the hips to aid with proper spine alignment while you snooze. Our tester swears by its minimal motion transfer, noting that she “[barely notices]” when her husband gets in and out of bed, and it has open-cell foam to let hot air escape.
2. Novilla 12-inch Gel Queen Memory Foam Mattress
Best cooling mattress on Amazon
If you're the type of sizzling sleeper that can never seem to keep your temperature down, then this mattress was created for you. What makes it so special? Well, it's put together with four layers of foam, including an egg crate layer that’s meant to increase airflow throughout the mattress. Beyond that, the top layer is made from a cooling gel memory foam that not only ensures an undisturbed and restful sleep, but keeps you regulated. Even the cover consists of a highly breathable bamboo fabric.
3. Zinus 12-inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
Best green tea mattress on Amazon
While we don't recommend jumping on any mattresses to test out its durability (even though that admittedly sounds like a heck of a lot of fun), this Zinus mattress has already been CertiPUR US Certified for its high-quality memory foam. In addition to offering you all of the regular benefits you’d get from this material, like a body-molded contour while you sleep, this one also has a green tea-infused ActivCharcoal layer that’s meant to absorb moisture (read—wick away your sweat). You will want to note that the company advises not removing the cover, however, so this one is spot clean only.
4. Sweetnight Queen Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Best mattress for back pain on Amazon
This mattress features an attractive balance between soft foam for comfort on one side and overall medium firmness on the other thanks to its dual-sided design. This can be especially beneficial for those who suffer from back pain, as you can pick whichever option you need each night.
5. Tuft & Needle Original Queen Foam Mattress
Best budget mattress on Amazon
For those sleepers who tend to experience discomfort in their pain points as they sleep, this mattress’s proprietary adaptive foam, which is meant to be comfy regardless of your position, will be a treat. It's got heat-wicking graphite within, and it’s also Greenguard Gold and CertiPUR certified, which means that this product is free of any harmful chemicals. Our tester did note, however, that it works much better with a high-quality frame, and that the ends can cave in a bit when you sit down at the edge of the bed.
6. Signature Design By Ashley Queen Chime 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress
Best memory foam mattress on Amazon
The 12 inches of medium-firm memory foam found in this design aim to not only offer comfort and support but also contour to your body to relieve pressure, so you can truly relax. The stretch knit cover also allows for better breathability. Talk about a win-win situation! Just note that it may take a few days for the new mattress smell to dissipate upon arrival.
7. Lucid 12-inch Latex Hybrid Mattress
Best latex hybrid mattress on Amazon
This uniquely designed mattress blends three different types of material in an effort to bring maximum relaxation to your bedroom. The combination of support foam topped with a layer of ultra-durable latex and gel-infused memory foam to provide responsiveness to your body atop a bed of individually wrapped steel coils for increased airflow will have you counting sheep in no time. If you’re on the fence, you can also sleep on it for up to 100 nights with no commitment whatsoever.
8. Vibe 12-inch Queen Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Best plush mattress on Amazon
If super firm mattresses just aren’t your thing when it comes to getting a good night's rest, then the added plushness of this design will be ideal. Two inches of gel memory foam combined with a whopping 3 inches of gel comfort foam bring you both fantastic breathability and coolness as well as the luxury of a soft, medium-plush feel. Beyond that, it has orthopedic support to provide pressure relief to your back, shoulders and neck, which can allow for proper spine positioning as you sleep.
9. Flash Furniture 12-inch Capri Pocket Spring Mattress
Best pocket spring mattress on Amazon
A great alternative to memory foam mattresses, this product features 10 inches of pocket spring coils topped off with a high-density 2-inch foam padding that can prevent pesky motion transfer from tossing and turning. The individually wrapped pocket spring coils promise to cradle your body no matter what position you're in for a hug-like feel from your bed each night. On top of that, you can sleep easy knowing that this item is CertiPUR-US certified.
10. Lucid 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Best gel memory foam mattress on Amazon
To get medium-firm support without being too stiff, this mattress employs 2.5 inches of gel-infused, ventilated memory foam surface on top of 7.5 inches of dense memory foam. Why is that a good thing? Well, the gel memory foam helps to regulate your temperature as it shapes to your curves for sweet slumber. As a bonus for any hot sleeper, this mattress also offers a TENCEL blend fabric that covers the gel foam in order to help better control airflow and induce a nice cool surface.