When it comes to self-care, nothing is more soothing than snuggling up with a book, your favorite throw blanket and a steamy cup of tea. But to get a hot cuppa in a flash, you’re going to want to use the best electric tea kettle—which, let’s be honest, will probably have an edge over your old stovetop version. Not only will it bring your water to a boil lickety-split, but some even offer temperature options, so you can make like Goldilocks and get it just right for your favorite leaf type—something that tea connoisseurs know is super important for maximizing flavor.
How We Chose the Best Electric Tea Kettle
We thoroughly researched tons of electric kettles to find 15 that will work for your lifestyle based on their aesthetic, features and performance. Our top options will not only boil quickly (and at the exact temp you want), but are efficient, hold enough water for a tea party the Mad Hatter himself would be jealous of and won't burn you or be unsafe. Better yet, they won't be eyesores on your counter.
How Do Electric Tea Kettles Work?
Electric kettles work similarly to hot plates. Inside each one is a metal coil that electrical energy travels through when the kettle is turned on in order to create heat, and ultimately, warm the cold water inside. It's more efficient than heating water with gas, as electrical energy heats up faster.
How Fast Do Electric Tea Kettles Boil Water?
The speediness with which your kettle will boil water depends on several factors, including the wattage of the internal heater, the temperature you want your water to boil at, the starting temperature of your water and the amount of H20 you put into the kettle.
For example, if you put 16 ounces of hot water into a kettle, you can safely assume that it's going to boil faster than 40 ounces of cold water. Generally, most electric kettles will reach their boiling point in roughly two-and-a-half to five minutes—a big improvement over the ten to 15 minutes it could take your stovetop kettle to do the same. Additionally, if you set your kettle at a lower boiling point, it will take less time.
The Best Electric Tea Kettles at a Glance
- Best Overall: Breville IQ Electric Tea Kettle
- Best Electric Gooseneck Kettle: Fellow Stagg Electric Gooseneck Kettle
- Best Budget Electric Tea Kettle: Hamilton Beach 40901 Electric Tea Kettle
- Best Retro Electric Kettle: Smeg '50s Retro Electric Kettle
- Best Electric Teapot Kettle: Chantal Mia Electric Tea Kettle
- Best Temp Control Electric Kettle: Beautiful by Drew Barrymore Electric Tea Kettle
- Best Basic Electric Tea Kettle: Cuisinart JK-17P1 Electric Tea Kettle
- Best Electric Glass Kettle: OXO Brew Electric Glass Kettle
- Most Stylish Electric Kettle: Bella Electric Tea Kettle
- Best Small Electric Tea Kettle: Dash Electric Tea Kettle
- Best Stainless-Steel Electric Kettle: Corosi Electric Gooseneck Kettle
- Best Large Electric Kettle: Mueller M99S Electric Tea Kettle
- Most Classic Electric Tea Kettle: Hamilton Beach 40998 Electric Tea Kettle
- Most Unique Electric Kettle: Nostalgia WK17AQ Electric Tea Kettle
- Most Versatile Electric Tea Kettle: Cuisinart CPK-17P1 Electric Tea Kettle