16 of the Best Closet Hangers for Next-Level Organization
We're going to let you in on a little well-known secret: A closet is only as organized as the hangers found within it. While they may seem basic enough—generally, there's a hook for your closet rod and a base from which to hang your clothes—closet hangers vary drastically when it comes to their material and features. With everything from tubular designs, for which to slip your slacks in, to simple, hanging rods that are lined with textured rubber so that your delicates stay in place, it can be more difficult than you think to choose the right option for your space. If you’re not sure where to start, fret not: We’ve scoured the internet for the best closet hangers with durable materials, ample room for clothes storage and unique hanging properties that will make laundry day something you actually—gasp!—look forward to.
What Are the Best Hangers for Your Closet?
You’ll encounter numerous hanger materials in your quest for organization, and each one has its own unique properties.
- Plastic: Plastic is a common choice when it comes to closet hangers, because it’s relatively cheap to produce and buy, yet adequately supports the weight of most garments.In addition, they rarely leaves creases and are also rust-proof. However, plastic hangers are likely to become disfigured over time under the weight of heavier items, such as coats and suits.
- Wood: Wood does a better job of holding up heavier garments. It's also a great way to keep your home tidy if you’re going for a rustic or farmhouse aesthetic. It's a more sustainable approach to closet organization, and will hold its shape better than more malleable materials, like metal wire. The downside? These hangers can be on the pricier side.
- Velvet: Velvet won't just look glamorous lining the perimeter of your closet, it can also help preserve your clothing, since it’s soft and non-abrasive. Opt for velvet when hanging delicate items like gowns, lingerie and scarves. Keep in mind that velvet hangers are likely to attract dust, though, so they should be cleaned regularly.
- Satin: Perfect for lightweight delicates such as silk, satin hangers look chic and prevent damage and creasing. They aren't ideal for heavier garments, however—like your outerwear.
- Metal: As anyone who's ever seen Mommie Dearest knows, wire hangers, while widely available, are less than ideal, as they can lose their shape when paired with heavier garments, rust (which in turn, can stain clothing) and also stretch out beloved tops and sweaters.
Closet Hanger Features to Look For
When shopping for closet hangers, it's best to look for features that will make your life easier. As you’ve likely noticed, hangers vary from short and narrow styles to long and tall ones. You’ll want to have narrower ones on hand for small items, like children’s clothing and scarves, and wider hangers for more oversized clothing. Sizing also depends on the amount of closet space you’ll be working with.
In addition, you'll want to consider the hanger's functionality.
- Bottom bars: Hangers boasting tubular designs at the bottom are among the most popular on the market, since you can hang blouses and jackets from the top and slip pants through the bottom rung.
- Clips: Just like a clip you’d use to seal a chip bag in your pantry, hanger clips can keep hard-to-hang items, like skirts, shorts and sleeveless tops, in place without letting them sliding around.
- Notches: Certain hangers feature small notches at the top that can be used to keep dainty pieces, like tank tops, from slipping and sliding off.
The Best Closet Hangers at a Glance
- Best Overall Closet Hangers: Zober Wooden Closet Hangers With Clips
- Best Nonslip Hangers: The Container Store All-In-One Hangers
- Best Plastic Hangers: House Day Closet Hangers With Clips
- Best Velvet Hangers: Zober Closet Hangers With Clips
- Best Cheap Hangers: Titan Mall Closet Hangers With Clips
- Best Wooden Hangers: Casafield Wooden Hangers
- Best Metal Hangers: Ieoke Closet Hangers With Clips
- Most Practical Hangers: Martha Stewart California Closets The Everyday System Hangers
- Best Belt Hangers: Honey Can Do Belt Hangers
- Best Cedar Hangers: Elong Home Solid Cedar Hangers
- Best Folding Hangers: Rebrilliant Garett Folding Hangers
- Best Sequin Hangers: Rebrilliant Sequined Hangers
- Best Hangers With Tie Bar: Squared Away Deluxe Wooden Coat Hangers
- Best Clothes Hanger Rack: Osto 5-Tier Metal Hanger Rack
- Smoothest Closet Hangers: Perfecasa Wooden Hangers
- Best Space-Saving Closet Hangers: Moralve Wooden Hangers
1. Zober Wooden Closet Hangers With Clips
Best overall closet hangers
These hangers, made of natural solid wood, feature metal clips with a nonslip rubber grip at the end to dangle skirts, slacks and other hard-to-hang items from. The adjustable, anti-rust chrome metal will stay shiny for years, and, when pushed out, they support clothing up to 12.75 inches wide (10 inches when pushed in). A rotating hook also ensures you can hang your items in any direction you please.
2. The Container Store All-In-One Hangers
Best nonslip hangers
One of the most common deterrents of hanging clothes is the frustration of dealing with blouses. This unique design, which comes in a pack of eight, allows you to slips buttoned tops off or on with ease—even when they're done up. In addition, this hanger's tall neck supports turtlenecks and shawls, while the built-in slot just below allows you to slip in ties, belts or necklaces. Rubber grips at both of the shoulders and its base also means garments won't tumble to the floor on a whim.
3. House Day Closet Hangers With Clips
Best plastic hangers
These cheap and cheerful hangers are made from a heavy-duty clear plastic that won’t lose its shape over time. They also have clips at each end, each of which features two tight clasps that can adjust to the width of your desired garment, be it a pair of socks or a skirt. Better yet? The hook rotates by a full 360 degrees for easy closet placement.
4. Zober Pants Hangers With Clips
Best velvet hangers
If you’re not looking to spend a ton but still want to let your delicates take center stage, treat yourself to this 20-pack of velvet hangers, which are available in fun shades, like turquoise and blush. Each one comes with two metal rust-resistant chrome clips to hold up to 7 pounds' worth of pants and skirts. They can also be adjusted. Like the other options we've listed, these have that 360-degree swivel hook to make hanging clothes a cinch.
5. Titan Mall Closet Hangers With Clips
Best cheap hangers
Fewer things are worse than finding a free hanger in your closet, only to realize it's the wrong type to hold your garment. These best-selling hangers, which are just right for bottoms, have a 360-degree rotating hook and come in a pack of 30. Their larger-than-usual clips can grip onto just about anything for dear life—without leaving marks behind. They're made of a thick, durable plastic, and, at 12 inches wide, they can hold onto a couple of items at once.
6. Casafield Wooden Hangers
Best wooden hangers
These curved, high-quality hangers come with a solid walnut finish in a convenient pack of 20. While they'll work to hold a vast array of clothing items, as they all come with a reinforced, anti-slip bar from which to hang pants and skirts and notches to keep your strapped pieces from falling off, their hefty build is best-suited for heavier items, like coats and suits.
7. Ieoke Closet Hangers With Clips
Best metal hangers
These pants hangers are made of rust-resistant zinc alloy plating, which makes for a durable alternative to plastic. They're adjustable to suit the width of your pants, and the rubber works neatly here in two ways: Rubber edges at the sides of the hangers prevent you from injuring yourself on the otherwise sharp metal, while rubber at the base of each clip helps to optimize its holding power. They’re lightweight, thin enough to maximize space in your closet and an all-around great bet for keeping clothes crisp.
8. Martha Stewart California Closets The Everyday System Hangers
Most practical hangers
We all know the frustration inherent in hanging a blouse, only to watch it immediately fall to the ground. These lotus wood hangers from the queen of home organization herself have notched corners that are meant to prevent your clothes from slipping off while simultaneously maintaining their shape. A set of 20, these holders come in either a chic white or a classy gray to match the mood of your room. Reviewers also claim they're lightweight, elegant and well-made.
9. Honey Can Do Belt Hangers
Best belt hangers
If you like your prettiest belts, scarves, ties and more to be neatly arranged in a row, you’ll love these horizontal hangers, which come in a two-pack and have room for up to 10 of your favorite accessories each. They include a 360-degree swivel hook, so you can hang (and access) things quicker, and they’re made of rust-resistant chrome metal that’ll outlast some of your most prized garments. What's more, their vinyl coating is meant to protects delicate fabrics, such as silk and leather.
10. Elong Home Cedar Wood Hangers
Best cedar hangers
These environmentally friendly hangers are made from 100 percent red cedar and feature a smooth, hand-polished finish to prevent them from snagging your most precious garments. The material also comes with a built-in bonus, as red cedar is known to have natural oils that can help deter moths from laying their eggs in your closet—at least as long as the scent lasts (it dissipates over time). Still, Elong Home also claims the smell will be a pleasant one for humans The hanger hook also rotates a convenient 360 degrees.
11. Rebrilliant Garret Folding Hanger
Best folding hangers
You won't have to sacrifice smooth, crisp clothes on your next trip thanks to these Rebrilliant Garret folding hangers. Available in a set of 16, these durable, plastic holders snap into place when extended or folded up. The sleek, two-toned arms also feature notches to keep strappy sleeves in place. When extended, the hanger measures 17 inches across to suit a range of pieces, and when folded in, it won’t take up more than 8 inches, making it easy to toss in your bag, car or storage unit for travel. A short neck of less than 2 inches high also reduces your chances of shirts dragging on the floor.
12. Rebrilliant Sequined Hangers
Best sequin hangers
Who said organizing your closet had to be boring? These fun, glittery hangers are far from it, but don’t be fooled: Underneath all that glitz and glam, they're actually constructed with sturdy hardwood. Coming in frosty silver, chunky gold or pretty pink, they'll be perfect for a little girl’s room, or simply anyone who wants to relive their bedazzled days.
13. Squared Away Deluxe Wooden Coat Hangers
Best hanger with a tie bar
This hanger is made with a smooth walnut finish, and comes with a genius square bar accessory that allows you to slip in a tie (or scarf. Or belt.) underneath. Even better, shoppers report that it's larger, wider and heavier than your run-of-the-mill holder, making it ideal for suit jackets.
14. Osto 5-Tier Metal Hanger Rack
Best clothes hanger rack
The thing about hangers is that they do a great job if occupying horizontal space in your closet—but what about the several inches of unused space that dip down to your floor? This five-tier rack allows you to hang pants or skirts vertically. It comes in a pack of three or six, making for up to 30 hangers in one. Bonus: Stacking clothing on these allows you to keep inventory of your closet at a glance, making it easier to rid it of clutter.
15. Perfecasa Wooden Hangers
Smoothest closet hangers
Can’t stand that unpleasant squeaking noise that so many hangers seem to make when you adjust them even slightly? Take a look at these ones, which come in a pack of 20. They have a stainless-steel, soft-coated hook in a complementary black tone that will allow you to move your clothes around without noise. You can choose from a true white, a cool gray or a natural wooden design, and each one can hold up to 10 pounds. Better yet, their beechwood base is eco-friendly.
16. Moralve Wooden Hangers
Best space-saving closet hangers
You won't have to sacrifice smooth, crisp clothes for space thanks to these unique hangers. Available in a set of four, these durable, beechwood holders have six clothing hooks each, allowing for up to 24 pieces of clothing per pack. They’re eco-friendly, won’t wrinkle your garments and have encased loops to ensure pieces don’t slide off.