16 Meghan Markle Quotes About Work, Feminism and Staying True to Yourself
We know it’s hard to believe, but Meghan Markle is officially turning 40 next week. And a lot has changed in the past year, to say the least. In addition to living a life in California as a non-senior member of the royal fam, she’s also now a mother of two.
But hey, the Duchess of Sussex has never really been a typical royal. Case in point? She’s not afraid to speak her mind. Whether she’s talking about women’s rights, falling in love with Prince Harry or finding herself, we can all learn a thing or two from the Duchess of Sussex. Here, 16 Meghan Markle quotes that are guaranteed to inspire you.
1. “Take things with a grain of salt, and find balance within your life. On your lunch break, leave to go and get some fresh air. You don’t need to make your life your job. I have to find that balance for myself, as well...I think you have to make time for yourself so that work doesn’t become the end-all be-all.” – Meghan Markle
2. “We just need to be kinder to ourselves. If we treated ourselves the way we treated our best friend, can you imagine how much better off we would be?” – Meghan Markle
On Empowering Women
3. “I think the biggest part of being a girl boss in the office, at home or anywhere you go is just knowing your value.” – Meghan Markle
4. “When girls are given the right tools to succeed, they can create incredible futures, not only for themselves but also for those around them.” – Meghan Markle
5. “Everyone should be afforded the opportunity to receive the education they want, but more importantly, the education they have the right to receive. And for women and girls in developing countries, this is vital.” – Meghan Markle
6. “With fame comes opportunity, but it also includes responsibility—to advocate and share, to focus less on glass slippers and more on pushing through glass ceilings. And, if I’m lucky enough, to inspire.” – Meghan Markle
7. “If there was a wrong, if there is a lack of justice, and there is an inequality, then someone needs to say something. And why not me?” – Meghan Markle
8. “Women make up more than half of the world’s population and potential, so it is neither just nor practical for their voices, for our voices, to go unheard at the highest levels of decision-making. The way that we change that, in my opinion, is to mobilize girls and women to see their value as leaders, and to support them in these efforts.” – Meghan Markle
9. “As you get older, you become more comfortable in your skin and comfortable in saying no to things...I’ve also learned that saying no is just as valuable as saying yes. It’s something that, I think, comes with age and really having a sense of your self-worth. And then you make choices based on that.” – Meghan Markle
10. “As I’m getting older, my approach to aging is quite different. I make sure that I take care of my skin and body, especially with the work hours I have. And I don’t just take care of myself for aesthetic reasons but because how I feel is dictated by what I’m eating, how much rest I’m getting and how much water I’m drinking.” – Meghan Markle
11. “Women’s suffrage is about feminism, but feminism is about fairness.” – Meghan Markle
12. “Have a power piece in your wardrobe. If it’s the one dress that makes you feel so badass, or the one crisp button-down — whatever it is so that when you wake up on those days where you’re not really feeling going into work, you put that piece on and it’s almost like your own anthem. It can really shift the energy of your whole day.” – Meghan Markle
13. “You can be a woman who wants to look good and still stand up for the equality of women. There’s no uniform for feminism; you are a feminist exactly the way you are.” – Meghan Markle
On Staying True To Herself
14. “I’m still the same person that I am, and I’ve never defined myself by my relationship.”– Meghan Markle
15. “You need to know that you’re enough—a mantra that has now ingrained itself so deeply within me that not a day goes by without hearing it chime in my head. That five pounds lost won’t make you happier, that more makeup won’t make you prettier, that the now iconic saying from Jerry Maguire, ‘You complete me,’ frankly, isn’t true. You are complete with or without a partner. You are enough just as you are.” – Meghan Markle
16. “Make a choice: Continue living your life feeling muddled in this abyss of self-misunderstanding, or you find your identity independent of it.” – Meghan Markle
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royals story by subscribing here.