How to Smell Good: 8 Tips For Keeping Fresh All Day
It's not what you'd expect
You know that friend who always smells amazing no matter what time of day it is? Well, choice of perfume aside, there is some strategy behind when and where to spray (which affects how strong the scent is and how long it will last). Here, how to smell good using 8 simple tricks.
1. They Choose More Potent ScentsNot all scents are created equal. While citrusy fragrances tend to dissipate quickly, spicy andwoodsy ones with notes like sandalwood tend to linger for a while. So if longevity is your top concern, you might want to keep your fragrance within those families.
2. They Layer Their Fragrances
From shower gels to body lotions to oils, most of your favorite perfumes come in different forms. By wearing a few of them together, you build layers of fragrance that stick around throughout the day.
3. They Know Where to Apply ItGo beyond the wrists and spritz your perfume onto warmer (and often more concealed) areas of your body, like your stomach and chest, as well as behind the knees and ears. The body heat here helps to develop the scent so the top, middle and base notes come through fully.
4. And They Never Rub It In
Though it’s second nature to want to rub your wrists together after applying perfume, resist the urge. Rubbing breaks down the top notes, leaving you with only the middle and base notes—and less wear time.
5. They Know When to Apply ItThe sweet spot is right after showering, while your skin is still slightly damp. The extra moisture helps to lock in the scent. Not to mention, this will omit the risk of staining your favorite silk blouse or tarnishing your jewelry.
6. They Keep Their Skin Hydrated
On that note, be sure to moisturize your skin before applying any perfume. Dry skin tends to absorb some of the scent, making it fade faster. Moisturized skin gives the fragrance something to adhere to so it lasts longer.
7. They Store Them ProperlyExposure to heat and humidity breaks down the scent molecules in your perfume, so avoid stashing the bottles in the bathroom and always keep them in cool, dry areas of your home—like the top of your dresser or vanity set.
8. They Reapply Throughout the Day
Since your skin is a living, breathing organ, it can’t hold on to scent indefinitely. Still, the tips above will ensure a much longer wear. For any life moments that fall outside of your regularnine-to-five (like when you’re going to dinner straight from the office), keep a travel-size sample or rollerball of perfume in your purse for a quick refresh.