Sweet Corn Doughnut Holes
If you want everyone to tilt their head back in bliss and say wow, make these sweet corn doughnut holes. Fresh corn kernels are whipped up into a light-as-clouds pastry cream that makes our mouth water just thinking about it.
Vegetable oil, as needed for frying
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1¼ cups whole milk
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 large egg white
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Sweet Corn Cream
1½ cups corn kernels
¾ cup heavy cream
⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Make the Doughnut Holes: In a medium pot, heat 3 to 4 inches of oil until it reads 350°F on a thermometer. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and 3 tablespoons of the sugar. Add the milk, butter, egg and egg white; mix until well combined.
3. Use a small ice-cream scoop to drop mounds of batter into the hot oil. Working in batches, fry the doughnut holes until they are very golden brown and fully cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Using a slotted spoon, remove the doughnut holes from the oil and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining batter.
5. In a small bowl, toss together the remaining ¾ cup sugar and cinnamon. Toss the doughnut holes in thecinnamon sugar to coat.
6. MAKE THE SWEET CORN CREAM: In the bowl of a food processor or blender, pulse the corn until it’s relatively smooth. If the mixture is wet, strain it, discarding any liquid and reserving the solids.
7. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the heavy cream andconfectioners’ sugar to medium peaks. Gently fold in the cinnamon, corn and vanilla extract.
8. Transfer the sweet corn cream into a pastry bag (or a large plastic zip-top bag). Snip a ¼-inch opening from the corner of the bag.
9. Poke each doughnut hole with the handle of a wooden spoon to make a hole. Fill the doughnut holes with the sweet corn cream until they feel heavier (some cream will come out of the hole).