Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Crispy Chickpeas and Yogurt Sauce
When it comes to sheet pan meals, you could certainly go all out. Or you could turn just a few simple ingredients into a satisfying, vegetarian dinner, à la these oven-roasted sweet potatoes with crispy chickpeas and yogurt sauce. It’s low-fuss and requires minimal prep, and besides, who could say no to a three-ingredient yogurt sauce?
Note that we call for unlined baking sheets—while you can certainly line them with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy cleanup, you’ll have an easier time getting those taters nicely caramelized if you don’t line the tray. They’ll get more direct contact with the hot surface, and the water content will evaporate more efficiently. Trust us, try it.
3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into wedges
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
One 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
Juice of 2 limes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Thinly sliced scallions or chives, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Have ready two unlined baking sheets.
2. Make the Sweet Potatoes: In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, olive oil, honey (if using) and crushed red pepper flakes. Season generously with salt and pepper, and toss until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated. Arrange the sweet potatoes on one of the prepared baking sheets in a single layer. Transfer to the oven and roast until tender and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Make the Chickpeas: Meanwhile, spread the chickpeas in a single layer on the second prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle over the cayenne, and season with salt. Transfer to the oven and bake until crispy and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Make the Yogurt Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and lime juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Divide the roasted sweet potatoes between dinner plates, top with some of the crispy chickpeas and drizzle with the yogurt sauce. Garnish with thinly sliced scallions or chives, if using.
Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas
Yogurt Sauce (per 2 tablespoons)