Our favorite category on the food pyramid: finger foods. Just look at these adorable mini quesadillas. In lieu of tortillas, we stuff wonton wrappers with our favorite fillings and lightly fry them until they are golden brown and crispy. Just don’t forget the guacamole and salsa for dipping, OK?
24 wonton wrappers
1½ cups refried black beans (from a can)
1½ cups grated Pepper Jack cheese
3 tablespoons sliced scallions, plus more for finishing
Vegetable oil (or other neutral oil), as needed for cooking
Chopped fresh cilantro, as needed for garnish
Salsa, sour cream and guacamole, for serving
1. Working one at a time, take 1 wonton wrapper and spread 1 tablespoon refried black beans on one side. Top with 1 tablespoon grated cheese.
2. Sprinkle ⅓ teaspoon scallions on top of the cheese and then fold the wonton wrapper in half. Repeat with the remaining wrappers, beans, cheese and scallions.
3. Heat ½ inch oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, place the quesadillas into the hot oil and fry until golden on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
4. When the wrappers are golden and the cheese is melted, transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain slightly. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with more scallions and cilantro. Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole on the side for dipping.