How to Make Crispy Avocado Tacos
What goes together better than Laverne and Shirley? Avocados and tacos, of course. This recipe kicks things up a notch with panko-crusted baked avocado slices and homemade pico de gallo. Enough discussion, though—here’show to make them.
4 California avocados
¼ cup lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to finish
2 egg whites
2½ cups panko bread crumbs
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Tacos & Toppings
2 tomatoes, diced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup sour cream
Zest and juice of 1 lime
12 small flour tortillas
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; grease the parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Halve the avocados. Remove the pits and then remove the flesh from the skin. Cut each half into 6 thick slices (you’ll get 12 slices per avocado; 48 total).
3. Place the lemon juice in a small bowl. In a large, shallow bowl, stir the flour with the salt to combine. In another large, shallow bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites. In a third large, shallow bowl, stir the bread crumbs with the cumin and garlic powder to combine.
4. Working in batches, dip each piece of avocado first into the lemon juice, then into the flour mixture, then into the egg white, then into the bread crumb mixture. Transfer the breaded avocado slices to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining avocado slices.
5. Bake until the breading is golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. While the avocados cook, stir the tomatoes with the scallions and garlic in a medium bowl to make an easy pico de gallo. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
7. In a small bowl, stir the sour cream with the lime zest and lime juice to combine. If desired, warm the tortillas in a medium skillet over high heat (30 seconds to 1 minute per side).
8. Place 4 avocado slices on each tortilla and then top each with a spoonful of pico de gallo, a drizzle of lime crema and a few cilantro leaves. Place three tacos on each plate and serve immediately.
Tacos & Toppings