Gluten-Free Cheesy Cauliflower Patties
Chef Oz Telem knows a thing or two about cauliflower. In fact, he wrote a whole cookbook dedicated to the veggie called (surprise) Cauliflower.
One of the biggest crowd-pleasers? This recipe for gluten-free cheesy cauliflower patties. They’re like hash brown patties, only made with cauliflower so they’re low-carb.
If you’d like to skip the whole shallow-frying bit, Telem has a quick tip: “Lay the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with olive oil and bake in a 400°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden.”
Oh, and serve them with plenty of ketchup.
1 small cauliflower
2 medium eggs
3½ ounces mozzarella, Gouda or cheddar cheese, grated
1 scallion, green and white parts thinly sliced
3 to 4 tablespoons oatmeal
Extra-virgin olive oil, for shallow-frying
1. Cut the cauliflower into medium-size florets. Place in a microwave-safe bowl with ½ cup water, cover and microwave until tender, 8 to 9 minutes. (Or you can boil or steam the florets.)
2. Drain off the water, then mash using a fork.
3. Add the eggs, cheese, scallion, oatmeal and salt, then stir to combine.
4. Heat the oil in a wide nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Using wet hands to keep the mixture from sticking to you, take about a heaped tablespoon from the mixture and shape into a ½-inch-thick round patty.
5. Place 5 or 6 patties in the pan and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
6. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the patties to a paper towel–lined plate, then continue shaping and frying patties from the remaining mixture. Serve immediately.