Everyone needs a classic lemon bar recipe in their back pocket. And this one should be it.
Makes 24 bars
Start to Finish: 1 hour 15 minutes
16 ounces refrigerated sugar-cookie dough
2¾ cups sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
Confectioners' sugar, as needed for finishing
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 13-by-9-inch pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment paper with nonstick spray.
2. Prepare the dough: Press the sugar-cookie dough into the base of the prepared pan in an even layer. Dock all over with a fork and transfer to the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
3. Bake the cookie crust until it’s lightly golden at the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. When you remove the pan from the oven, hit it firmly on the counter to help flatten the crust. Let cool while you make the filling.
4. Make the filling: Lower the oven temperature to 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and flour to combine. Whisk in the lemon juice, eggs and lemon zest. Mix until well combined.
5. Pour the filling into the cooled crust. Bake until the filling is set and lightly golden at the edges, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool completely.
6. Sprinkle confectioners' sugar all over the surface. Cut the bars into 12 even squares, and then cut each square in half to make two triangles. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve.