The wait is over, folks. Lin-Manuel Miranda just confirmed the Hamilton movie is coming this summer.
The 40-year-old actor revealed that the filmed version of the original Broadway production will now premiere on Friday, July 3, on Disney+. Miranda made the surprise announcement alongside Bob Iger (executive chairman of The Walt Disney Company) during today’s episode of Good Morning America.
The Hamilton movie will feature never-before-seen footage of the original cast playing their characters on stage. Actors include Miranda as Alexander Hamilton, Renée Elise Goldsberry as Angelica, Phillipa Soo as Eliza, Daveed Diggs as Thomas Jefferson and Leslie Odom Jr. as Aaron Burr.
The film was originally scheduled to be released on October 15, but Iger changed the date as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. “I can’t think of another work of art in the last decade that’s had the cultural impact of Hamilton,” he said. “I just think it’s brilliant, and in these times to tell the story of people uniting together against forces of diversity, I think is quite relevant and actually quite important.”
We first learned about the Hamilton movie earlier this year when Miranda confirmed the news in an interview with Variety. Director Thomas Kail filmed the stage show during its original run, and Miranda was waiting on the right time to release it.
“What I’m most excited about [is] you all have that friend that is like, ‘I saw it with the original cast.’ We’re stealing that brag from everyone because you’re all going to see it with the original cast,” Miranda said.
Let’s raise a glass to freedom.