Taylor Swift fans have had a rough go of it lately, given the Eras tour ticket fiasco. In an effort to brighten their spirits (it is the holiday season, after all), we tested her recipe for chai tea eggnog cookies for our new YouTube series, Celeb Bites, where we attempt to cook and bake like the stars to see if their food is worth the hype.
Hey, Swifties: We Tried Taylor Swift’s Recipe for Chai Tea Eggnog Cookies
Any true Swiftie knows that Taylor’s birthday is on December 13, which just so happens to be the launch date for this episode. “She posted this [recipe] on her Tumblr back in 2015 and it became an instant holiday favorite,” says host Juliette Moreno. “It has the reputation for being the best holiday cookie out there, so we’re gonna see if it meets the hype.”
Watch us bake them on YouTube now or hit the kitchen ASAP with the recipe below.
For the cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 chai tea bag
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the icing
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon eggnog
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cookies. Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat. Then, add the vegetable oil, confectioners’ sugar, granulated sugar, egg and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the chai tea bag on the counter. Crush the leaves inside by beating the bag with a glass or spice container. Cut the tea bag open and add the contents to the mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the bowl and mix to combine. Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl and place it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the freezer and start rolling it into small balls. Place the balls on the lined baking sheet and gently flatten the tops. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the icing. Add all the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Ice the cookies. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to partially cool. Drizzle with icing and enjoy.