The newest buzzword in the pet food industry is “human-grade.” If you Google it, you get 114 million search results. But is human-grade dog food worth it? And what does the label even mean? In an industry estimated to be worth $195 billion by 2027, human-grade dog food companies are competing with over 600 traditional brands for pet parents’ attention. We know this is overwhelming, so we asked several vets for their take on human-grade dog food, along with their recommendations if you decide to try it out.
Meet the Experts:
- Dr. Jamie Whittenburg, DVM, lead veterinarian at Senior Tail Waggers and director of Kingsgate Animal Hospital
- Dr. Stephanie Venn-Watson, DVM, MPH, a veterinary epidemiologist
- Dr. Nell Ostermeier, DVM, CVA, FAAVA, an Integrative Veterinarian at AKC Pet Insurance
- Dr. Lindsay Butzer, a veterinarian and PetMeds partner
- Dr. Linda Simon, MVB MRCVS, is a locum veterinary surgeon and part of Pawleaks Modern Dog Training’s veterinary consult team