The whole litter box thing is probably the least appealing aspect of feline parenthood. You’ve got to find a place to put the box where it won’t smell or be too conspicuous. You’ve got to scoop it daily. You’ve got to constantly invent new ways to prevent Butters from tracking litter pellets everywhere. You might even need several boxes depending on how many cats you have (one per cat, then add one more!). If you’re in the market for a high-rated and well-performing litter box, keep reading. This list features 12 of the best cat litter boxes. We picked these to include lots of variety, too, because some cats just won’t go in the first box you buy—on principle.
The 15 Best Cat Litter Boxes, from Self-Cleaning Robots to Tried-and-True Budget Savers
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
What If My Cat Is on a Litter Box Strike?
If you’re wondering why your cat is pooping outside the litter box, consider all of the factors surrounding their behavior. The litter box could certainly be one. Recent changes in your household—including the litter, litter box, or its placement—can deter your cat from eliminating where she usually goes. Don’t force your cat to work with the litter box you prefer; observe her behavior and go with a box she enjoys most.
How Many Litter Boxes Should I Have?
You should have one litter box per cat, then add another. Cats like to feel ownership over their space, and that includes their scent. Too many cats forced to use a single litter box could lead to some head-butting. Things can also just get messy if you don’t provide a couple options for your cats. Cats prefer clean boxes. If you neglect to clean frequently or waste builds up quickly in a multi-cat household, you can expect to find some pooping outside the litter box. Some cats just don’t like the same type of box as their roommates, either.
The Best Litter Boxes At a Glance
- Best for Senior or Arthritic Cats: Kittygohere Litter Box
- Best for Longevity and Durability: Iprimio Stainless Steel Litter Box
- Best Top-Entry Box: Iris Top Entry Litter Box
- Best Hidden Litter Box: Good Pet Stuff Hidden Planter
- Best Space-Saver: Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Corner Cat Litter Box
- Best Disposable Litter Box: Kitty Sift Disposable Cat Litter Box
- Best for Keeping Litter Inside the Box: Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System
- Best on a Budget: Pet Mate Cat Litter Pan
- Best Sifting Litter Box: Arm & Hammer Sifting Cat Litter Pan
- Best Automatic Litter Box: Litter Robot-3 Connect
- Best Bargain Automatic Litter Box: Petsafe Scoopfree Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Best Design: The Cove by Tuft and Paw
- Easiest to Deep Clean: PrettyLitter Linnea Premium Round Litter Box
- Best Double Duty: FEANDREA WoodyWonders Cat Tree and Litter Box
- Most Fun: VETRESKA Covered Cat Litter Box
Best for Senior or Arthritic Cats
1. Kittygohere Litter Box
- Why We Love It: big enough so arthritic cats won’t feel cramped, nice colorways
- Measurements: large size is 20”W x 24”D x 5”H (3”H at entry)
This box is an excellent choice for anyone with arthritic or aging cats because it’s low to the ground and doesn’t require jumping up or onto anything. This also makes it a good choice for tiny kittens or cats who continue to eliminate outside their current boxes. The KittyGoHere box comes in lavender, sand or apple green, which are things cats shouldn’t eat but are nice colors to complement your decor.
Best for Longevity and Durability
2. Iprimio Stainless Steel Cat Litter Box
- Why We Love It: optional/removable shelter, never stains
- Measurements: 15.5”W x 23.5”D x 6”H (shelter adds 6” to height)
Stainless steel is typically associated with food and water bowls, because it isn’t porous, bacteria has trouble growing on it and it can be simply cleaned and sanitized. Why not apply that to your litter box? The Iprimio box doesn’t rust or stain, either. The rubber feet on the bottom prevent scuffed floors or scooching mid-potty break.
Best Top-Entry Litter Box
3. Iris Top-entry Litter Box
- Why We Love It: rounded corners for easy cleaning, works with all litter types
- Measurements: 13”W x 17”D x 12”H (Small); 16”W x 20.5”D x 14.5”H (Large)
Top-entry boxes are not for all cats. Some will get used to perching and plopping or jumping right into these, while others enjoy more open space while they are most vulnerable. If yours are into the top entry style, go for the Iris box, which comes in several sizes and colors and has a grooved lid to catch clingy litter.
Best Hidden Litter Box
4. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
Good Pet Stuff
- Why We Love It: rounded corners for easy cleaning, three unique colorways
- Measurements: 19”W x 19”D x 20”H
Fool everyone who comes over with this hidden litter box! Disguised as a planter, it provides plenty of room for your cat to do her business while adding a little greenery to your home. If your cat room’s theme is “Jungle,” maybe add this to the mix? There’s a vent on top with a filter to control odors. Just don’t water the plant—it’s fake and you’ll only be watering your cat litter.
5. Nature’s Miracle High-sided Corner Cat Litter Box
- Why We Love It: optional shelter attachment, no frills, lightweight
- Measurements: 26”W x 23”D x 10”H
Since it’s wise to have multiple litter boxes (even if you have just one cat) and even wiser to place litter boxes in several zones throughout your home, a corner box may be a game-changer. This box from Nature’s Miracle fits snugly into a corner, which can save space in small apartments (and keep your cats from tossing litter in every direction after they’re done).
Best Disposable Litter Box
6. Kitty Sift Disposable Cat Litter Box
- Why We Love It: eco-friendly, plastic-free
- Measurements: 13.8”W x 17.75”D x 4”H (Large); 17.75”W x 20.5”D x 5.5”H (Jumbo)
This disposable box is made from recycled paper and materials. Don’t worry—it won’t crumble or tear after kitty uses it. The material is strong enough to stand on its own and environmentally friendly enough to use as a liner in a larger plastic bin (a much better option than plastic bag liners that tend to annoy cats). It’s manufactured with recycled cardboard and is water resistant, so it won’t leak. Replace (and compost if you can!) every two to three weeks to keep your cat happy. There’s also a sifting option if you’re into it.
Best for Keeping Litter Inside the Box
7. Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System
- Why We Love It: low dust litter
- Measurements: 15.8”W x 20.5”D x 10.1”H
New to kitties and litter boxes in general? Start with this customer fave. First of all, the litter pellets keep solid poos on top and allow liquid to drain onto absorbent pads. These pads are hidden in a protective drawer, keeping urine odors at bay. Second, the litter pellets are 99.9 percent dust-free and don’t track all over your home. Replace the pads once per week for one cat (or every three days for two cats) and the litter once per month. It comes in several sizes, too!
Best on a Budget
8. Pet Mate Cat Litter Pan
- Why We Love It: four size options for growing cats, easy to clean
- Measurements: 10.5”W x 14”D x 3.5”H (small); 12”W x 16”D x x 4”H (medium); 15”W x 18.5”D x 5”H (large)
Here’s the thing: Cats aren’t as picky as people tend to be when it comes to litter box design. Yes, some cats become picky if other factors in their lives change, but for the most part, as long as the litter box is clean and available, it works. This box is as basic as it gets. It’s also cost-effective—so if you’d rather splurge on Pretty Litter or your cat’s health requires prescription food, you can save money here. It comes in four sizes, so you can also buy as your cat grows.
Best Sifting Litter Box
9. Pet Mate Arm & Hammer Sifting Pan
- Why We Love It: budget-friendly
- Measurements: 15.2”W x 18.9”D x 7.9”H
Both a great deal and a great system, this litter box streamlines the cleaning process. Instead of going on the hunt with your scooper, simply lift the sifting tray and shimmy it back and forth, then dump the contents. The materials are also antimicrobial which reduces bacteria build-up (aka, fewer stains and smells). One complaint from users is that it may be too small for larger cats.
Best Automatic Litter Box
10. Litter Robot-3 Connect
- Why We Love It: app connectivity, sensor prevents scaring cats away
- Measurements: 24.25”W x 27”D x 29.5”H. Entryway is 10.25”W x 15.5”H.
We’ve already given this litter box a 93 out of 100 when it comes to value, functionality, quality, aesthetic and overall cat approval. This thing is pricey but worth it if you want to streamline the scooping process. Not only does it automatically “scoop” your cat’s business (timed of course, with a weight sensor, to ensure your cat isn’t in there when it starts moving), it sends you notifications through Litter Robot’s app letting you know when the waste drawer is full. Be sure to use clumping litter only!
Best Bargain Automatic Litter Box
11. Petsafe Scoopfree Automatic Self-cleaning Litter Box
- Why We Love It: crystal litter tray lasts for one month, odor control technology
- Measurements: 19.1”W x 27.6”D x 15.6”H
Cat parents on the hunt for an automatic box that doesn’t cost an arm and a paw should consider the PetSafe ScoopFree Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box. This one is full of crystal litter that dehydrates solid waste and absorbs liquid waste. It only requires a litter tray change once per month (if you have one cat). A rake rids the pan of waste so you don’t have to.
12. The Cove Litter Box By Tuft And Paw
- Why We Love It: scoop and mini broom included, optional shelter for less litter tracking
- Measurements: 16”W x 26”D x 6.5”H (plus 8” Shelter add-on for more height). Litter area is 14”W x 20”D x 6”H.
Tuft and Paw is known for its incredibly sleek, modern design. They really did a number on the traditional litter box. The Cove has clean lines and curved corners for optimal cat comfort and human aesthetics. The Shelter is a removable wall included in your purchase that can be added to The Cove if your cat is a big litter kicker. (Speaking of litter, Tuft and Paw makes a dust-free, flushable, non-toxic clumping litter perfect for any box!)
Easiest to Deep Clean
13. PrettyLitter Linnea Premium Round Litter Box
- Why We Love It: sleek design
- Measurements: 17”W x 17”D x 6”H
It’s way easier to clean out a litter box with rounded corners, which is why we think PrettyLitter’s Linnea box is genius. Described as the perfect combination of functionality and beauty, this box has a classic look and is non-stick. The durable material will last a long time, too. The only issue you may run into is placement, as it won’t fit nicely into a corner.
Best Double Duty
14. FEANDREA WoodyWonders Cat Tree and Litter Box
- Why We Love It: space saver, multi-functional
- Measurements: 19.7”W x 22.6”D x 55”H (actual litter box space is 16”W x 21.7”D x 15.7”H)
Looking to really save space? Get this hybrid litter box-cat tree! The condo provides several spots to perch, a hammock-style basket, sisal scratching posts and playful poms. Plus, the wood-stain blends in with just about any home decor.
15. VETRESKA Covered Cat Litter Box
- Why We Love It: whimsical design, fun colors, BPA- and phthalate-free, pull-out drawer for easy access
- Measurements: 16.93"W 21.26"D x 16.93"H
If you want a fun and functional design, we like this grapefruit-themed covered box by Vetreska. (They also make a watermelon version, if you’re so inclined.) Designed for cats up to 15 pounds, this box has a pull-out drawer for easy access to cleaning and a litter trap to prevent your kitty’s paws from dragging litter everywhere. The manufacturer says the materials are BPA- and phthalate-free.