Who’s George R.R. Martin’s Wife? 5 Things to Know About Parris McBride
Apart from the fact that he’s the creator of Game of Thrones and author of the novels from which the show was based, we don’t know a whole lot about George R.R. Martin’s life. As it turns out, he has a wife named Parris McBride. (Surprise, surprise!) Here, five things we know about McBride and her relationship with Martin.
1. Where Is She From?McBride grew up in Portland, Oregon, and was a self-professed hippy who loved J. R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings series.
2. How Long Have They Been Together?
The couple was together for over three decades before they decided to get married. Martin and McBride met at the Kubla Khan Sci-Fi convention in Nashville in 1975 and were drawn to each other right off the bat but didn’t start dating immediately.
3. When Did They Get Married?
On February 15, 2011, Martin and McBride wed in a small ceremony at their Santa Fe home. They held a larger ceremony and reception at Renovation, the 69th World Science Fiction Convention, in Reno, Nevada, on August 19, 2011.
4. What Does She Do?McBride is a blogger (she runs a live journal about her life) and philanthropist. A huge proponent of animal rights, she asked fans and friends not to send gifts following their marriage and instead requested that they donate money to charities that care for animals. She and Martin have also been avid supporters of the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary in New Mexico, which helps rehabilitate wild and domestic wolf-dogs, since the ’90s. In 2013, she also helped the Pearl Foundation raise funds to provide scholarships for writing students. She also pledged $2.7 million to an arts collective called Meow Wolf in 2015.
5. Is She a ‘Game of Thrones’ Fan?
You bet she is. Not only did Martin name a GoT character for their cat Mulligan, but McBride made him promise he would never kill off Arya Stark (Maisie Williams). It looks like he kept his promise.