We’d like to start off by making one thing crystal clear: If you’re dealing with cellulite, you are not the only one. Cellulite is a very common condition affecting nearly all women. “Cellulite doesn’t discriminate. It affects women of all shapes, sizes, ages and races,” says Carolyn Jacob, M.D., founder and director of Chicago Cosmetic Surgery and Dermatology. “On average, most women in the U.S. underestimate the prevalence of cellulite. Approximately 90 percent of women have cellulite. And the other 10 percent think they do.”
Yet despite its prevalence, there is still plenty of false information circulating about the causes of cellulite, who gets it and how to get rid of it—which, BTW, you shouldn’t feel the need to do anyways. Just like stretch marks and fine lines, cellulite is a totally normal skin condition. In fact, back in the 17th century cellulite was celebrated as part of the female form and depicted paintings. (Take that main-stream media.)
Not convinced? Read on as we debunk some common myths about cellulite and explore some of the latest treatments to help you understand and embrace your dimples.