There’s something about a yogurt dip that brings people together (and we don’t mean double-dipping). Maybe it’s because it’s like a fancy version of everyone’s favorite salad dressing (ranch), or simply because it’s delicious for dunking fresh crudités and pita alike. Our yogurt dip recipe features a swirl of frizzled carrot and herb-infused oil and chopped pistachios for layers of texture and flavor. We won’t claim it’s world peace in an appetizer, but it will have all your guests coming back for more.
Pro tip: For a thicker yogurt dip with the most pronounced swirl of oil, choose a naturally thick Greek yogurt—such as Fage—or swap in sour cream or labneh.
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup shredded carrots (about 1 carrot)
1½ cups full-fat plain Greek yogurt (we like Fage)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 to 6 thyme sprigs
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon pistachios, roughly chopped (optional)
Crudités, pita or crackers, for serving
1. In a small saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Add the carrots to the oil and stir to coat. Sauté the carrots, stirring occasionally, until shrunken and slightly frizzled, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir to combine; taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
4. In a medium heatproof bowl, combine the thyme, dill, mint, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Pour the hot carrot-herb oil into the bowl to infuse for about 5 minutes. Once infused, remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
5. Transfer the yogurt mixture to a shallow serving bowl, spreading it with the back of a spoon or offset spatula to create swoops for the oil to pool. Drizzle the carrot-herb oil over the yogurt. Top the yogurt dip with pistachios, and serve with various crudités for dipping.