Strawberry Shortcake Skewers with Whipped Cream
We’re firm believers that everything should be made on the grill in the summertime—even dessert. Presenting our new favorite way to satisfy our sweet tooth: strawberry shortcake skewers with whipped cream. They’re just as fun to make as they are to eat.
One 16-ounce package refrigerated biscuit dough
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey
1½ cups heavy cream
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons sugar
2 quarts strawberries, trimmed and halved
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Make the Biscuits: Arrange the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet. In a small pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the honey. Brush the honey butter over the surface of the biscuits and then bake according to the instructions on the package.
3. Let the biscuits cool completely and then cut them in half lengthwise, then again widthwise (the pieces will be flat quarter biscuits).
4. Make the Whipped Cream: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract and then continue to whip to medium peaks. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Prepare the Strawberries: In a small pot, bring the sugar and ¼ cup water to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly until the sugar dissolves.
6. Place 2 or 3 biscuit pieces on a several skewers. Arrange the strawberries tightly on separate skewers. Brush the strawberries with the simple syrup.
7. Working in batches, grill the biscuits until they are lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill the strawberries until they are lightly cooked but not mushy, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
8. Serve the grilled biscuits and strawberries immediately with whipped cream on the side.