Strawberry, Cardamom and Pistachio Pavlova Bites
Restaurants and coffee shops are adding a pinch of herbal, fragrant cardamom to lattes, baked goodies and even roast chicken to instantly up the ante and add a little je ne sais quoi. Want to try it at home? These light-as-air strawberry, cardamom and pistachio pavlova bites are an easy way to dabble.
5 large egg whites
Pinch of cream of tartar
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
16 small strawberries, hulled
½ cup pistachios, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a 1½-inch-diameter cookie cutter
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until they begin to look foamy, about 2 minutes.
3. Gradually add the granulated sugar in a slow, steady stream while whipping, then continue to whip until the mixture reaches stiff peaks.
4. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Using the circles on the parchment as guides, pipe mounds onto the parchment paper. Alternatively, you can scoop mounds (about 2 tablespoons each) onto the parchment and then spread each mound into an even circle.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake until the meringues are dry and crisp, 2 to 2½ hours. Let cool completely.
6. When the meringues have cooled, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and cardamom, and continue to whip to medium peaks.
7. Scoop the whipped cream onto the center of each meringue. Place a strawberry on top of the whipped cream and then sprinkle with pistachios. Serve immediately.