Spicy Glazed Popcorn Chicken
What's the best part about football season? Tom Brady. The game-day grub, duh. And this spicy glazed popcorn chicken is a new reason to look forward to Sundays.
Neutral oil (like canola oil) as needed for frying
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ cup sweet chile sauce
¼ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1. Heat 3 to 4 inches of the oil in a medium pot until it reads 350°F on a thermometer. Line a baking sheet with several layers of absorbent paper towels.
2. Make the Popcorn Chicken: In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with the buttermilk. In a large, shallow dish, whisk the flour with the baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne to combine.
3. Working in batches, remove a handful of the chicken from the buttermilk and shake to remove excess liquid. Add the chicken to the flour mixture and toss well to coat. Repeat until all of the chicken is coated in flour.
4. Working in batches, fry the chicken in the hot oil until it is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oil and drain on the paper towels. Repeat until all of the chicken is cooked.
5. Make the Spicy Glaze: In a medium bowl, mix the sweet chile sauce with the ketchup, Sriracha, soy sauce and rice vinegar to combine. Brush the sauce all over the cooked chicken and serve immediately.
Note: You can serve the chicken with any dipping sauce you like. We used a garlic aioli.