It’s hot. Like, sweltering. This calls for an ice-cream sandwich. Sure, you could go to the grocery store and grab a box out of the freezer section. Or you could kick things up a hundred notches and make your own chocolate waffle ice-cream sandwiches. (We vote for option two.)
2 cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup cocoa powder
½ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2¼ cups whole milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Ice Cream Sandwiches
3 pints ice cream (we like vanilla, strawberry and mint chocolate chip)
½ cup caramel sauce
¾ cup chopped salted almonds
½ cup rainbow sprinkles
½ cup melted dark chocolate
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt to combine.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the milk with the melted butter, eggs and vanilla to combine. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk to combine.
3. Preheat the waffle iron. Lightly spray the iron with nonstick spray. Ladle batter into the waffle maker. Prepare the waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions, 3 to 6 minutes. Repeat until all the batter is used. Cool the waffles to room temperature, then cut each into quarters.
4. To assemble the sandwiches, scoop ½ cup ice cream onto one piece of waffle and top with another to make a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining waffles and ice cream. Transfer the sandwiches to the freezer until very firm, at least 2 hours.
5. Dip or garnish the frozen sandwiches as desired. (We dipped our vanilla sandwiches into caramel sauce and sprinkled them with salted almonds. The strawberry sandwiches are garnished with sprinkles, and the mint chocolate chip sandwiches are dipped in dark chocolate.) Return the sandwiches to the freezer until ready to serve.