Well, this appetizer recipe couldn't be any simpler. Start with creamy Boursin cheese, which you can find in the grocery store, and then make the most delicious topping ever (crispy bacon + caramelized onions). That's it. But we guarantee all of your friends will be asking for the recipe.
4 strips bacon, cut into thin strips
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
One 5.2-ounce package Boursin cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Bread or crackers, as needed for serving
1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until it is crisp and golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onion and shallot to the pan, and reduce the heat to low. Sauté until the onion is caramelized and soft, 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute more. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and then the reserved bacon to combine. Season the mixture generously with pepper.
4. Place the Boursin on a serving plate. Pour the hot onion-bacon mixture over the cheese.
5. Garnish with chives. Serve immediately with bread or crackers.