Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Muffins
Guys. Bacon, egg and cheese breakfast muffins be the most epic morning meal of all time. We take a savory muffin and bake an egg in it. How, you ask? The method is actually pretty simple. Let us show you the way. (Pro tip: Get yourself a jumbo muffin pan.)
8 ounces bacon, chopped
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1¼ cups buttermilk
1 cup chopped scallions
1½ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the cavities of a six-cup jumbo muffin pan.
2. Place the eggs in a medium pot and cover with water by half an inch. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring the water to a boil. Once it boils, remove from the heat and cover the pot. Let the eggs sit for 10 to 11 minutes.
3. Drain the eggs and run cold water over them. Let them cool completely and then peel and discard the shells.
4. While the eggs cook, heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook until golden brown and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper towels and let cool completely.
5. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper to combine. In a separate bowl, mix the vegetable oil with the buttermilk to combine.
6. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, and mix to combine. Fold in the cooled bacon, the scallions and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
7. Scoop the muffin batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup a third of the way full (about 3 tablespoons).
8. Place a peeled egg into each cup on top of the batter and press it slightly into the batter. Divide the remaining batter evenly among the cups and press gently around the egg to cover fully.
9. Sprinkle 4 teaspoons cheddar cheese on top of each muffin and then bake until the cheese is melted and golden, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.