Listen, we’re not convinced that we have to be around a campfire to make and/or enjoy s’mores. Roasting the ’mallows on a stick one at a time is fun and all, but we’re really in it for the end game—the part where everyone digs in and gets chocolate all over their hands. Enter this recipe for indoor s’mores that you bake in the oven. It has all the standard ingredients of the traditional treat (marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate) but can feed a crowd...and doesn’t involve open flames. It’s like camping but without the mosquitos, uncomfortable beds and shoddy cell phone service. Yep, you’re welcome.
18 graham crackers
¼ cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 extra-large Hershey bars (or 7 regular-size ones)
24 jumbo marshmallows
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper, allowing an extra 2 inches of parchment to hang over the edges.
2. Make the Crust: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until they are finely ground. Transfer the crumbs to a medium bowl.
3. Add the sugar and salt to the graham-cracker crumbs and stir to combine. Add the melted butter and stir until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Pour the crumb mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer.
4. Bake the crust for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Let the crust cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Make the Topping: Arrange the chocolate bars evenly on top of the slightly cooled crust, leaving about ¼ inch of crust uncovered around the edges. Arrange the marshmallows on top of the chocolate, leaving some space between each one (they will expand slightly).
6. Bake until the chocolate is soft and beginning to melt, and the marshmallows are evenly toasted on top, 10 to 12 minutes.
7. You can slice and serve the bars immediately for a more traditional s’mores experience, or let them cool for 15 to 20 minutes if you’d like to slice them cleanly. You can reheat sliced bars in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.