No-Bake Coconut Cream Pie
Sure, your oven is pretty important. You use it to bake cupcakes, roast brussels sprouts and even store your cookie sheets when you’re not using them. But don’t underestimate the power of another major appliance in your kitchen: the refrigerator. As it so happens, the fridge and freezer are key in our recipe for no-bake coconut cream pie.
10 graham crackers
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
One 15-ounce can cream of coconut
1¼ cups milk
Pinch of salt
⅓ cup cornstarch
¾ cup granulated sugar
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup granulated sugar
Toasted shredded coconut, as needed for garnish
1. Make the Crust: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until they form fine crumbs. Transfer the crumbs (you should have about 2 cups) to a bowl and add the sugar and melted butter. Mix until the crumbs are moistened.
2. Press the graham-cracker mixture into a pie plate to form a crust, bringing it up the side and onto the edge of the plate. Press firmly to ensure the crust is even. Transfer to the freezer for 30 minutes.
3. Make the Filling: In a medium pot, bring the cream of coconut, milk and salt to a boil over medium heat.
4. While the mixture heats, whisk the cornstarch with the granulated sugar to combine in a medium-size heat-safe bowl. Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract; mix to combine.
5. When the cream of coconut mixture has come to a boil, pour it slowly into the egg mixture while whisking constantly to combine.
6. Return the mixture to the pot and continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is very thick and large bubbles start to break through at the center, 7 to 9 minutes.
7. Assemble the Pie: Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling to prevent a skin from forming as it cools. Refrigerate until fully cooled, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
8. Make the Topping: Whip the cream and sugar to medium peaks. Top the pie with the whipped cream and garnish with the toasted coconut. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
9. Serve directly from the fridge. The pie will keep, refrigerated and covered, for up to two days.