Your new rental boasts great views, original hardwood floors and—dear, God—the most hideous lighting fixtures you've possibly ever seen.
Relax, guys, we're here to remind you that 99 percent of the time you can totally trade out those cheapo ceiling-flush fixtures and janky bathroom sconces, even if you're only renting.
Here's what to do:
1) Clear it with your landlord
2) Order some chic lighting fixtures of your choosing
3) Book an electrician or handyman to swap out the old for the new (psst: most charge around $100/hour)
4) Stow the original fixtures somewhere safe
5) Have your electrician come back and install the old fixtures in advance of your eventual move-out date—so you can take the pretty new fixtures with you!
Is it a splurgy little decor project? Yep. Is it completely transformative and totally worth it? Count on it.