Kids have the darndest habit of fighting good hygiene, tooth and nail. (Literally.) As parents, we’ve always tried to convey that cleanliness is next to godliness but these days, our kid’s fingernail funk has taken on new significance. And while you know that a good wash is essential for public and personal safety, getting your mini onboard is a hard sell. There’s a workaround, though, and it will be music to your ears. Just pick your favorite jam from our roundup of the best hand-washing songs for kids and breathe a sigh of relief knowing your little one will soap up with a smile. (Just don’t blame us if the songs get stuck in your head for the rest of the day week.)
But before you lather up, here are the official hand-washing guidelines from the CDC to keep in the back of your mind at every bathroom battle:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. (See below for some fun hand-washing songs that will help your kid do the full stint.)
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.