This Is Exactly How to Get Beautifully Bouncy Hair from the Brandon Maxwell Fashion Show
If you saw the looks from Brandon Maxwell’s spring/summer 2019 runway show, you probablyogled the high-brow take on the ’90s blowout. And if you’re anything like us, you were most likely wondering: Wait, how do I master that all-American, Brooke Shields–inspired hair?
So we sat down to chat with lead hairstylist James Pecis to learn every step it takes to recreate this delightfully bouncy polished ’do. Here’s how to recreate the look from home.
1. “Stretch” the hair by blowing it dry (Pecis uses the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer professional edition). For curly hair, apply a leave-in conditioner before drying. Pecis prefers Oribe’s leave-in conditioner.
2. Straighten with a flat iron, shaping and pulling so that the hair lays flat in the direction of a ponytail. In other words, instead of pulling the flat iron down toward your shoulders, pull it toward the back of your head.
3. Loop the hair into a low pony, braid it and loop it into a bun, setting it with a corkscrew bobby pin for about ten to 15 minutes.
4. Take the hair down and apply some thickening spray (Pecis recommends Oribe Maximista Thickening Spray) before using a blow dryer once more on a low setting to blow the hair back and up with a large round brush. Pro tip: Pecis worked in six sections around the head, pinning each up while he worked on the rest.
5. Add one last finishing touch: a spritz, like Oribe Imperméable Anti-Humidity Spray, to keep the whole thing in place without losing that soft, natural vibe.
And voilà! A perfectly smooth voluminous ’do that will keep your hair from falling in your face without tying it back. Now if only we could have access to the entire Brandon Maxwell collection, as well, that would be absolute perfection.