Salted Caramel & Chocolate Rice Krispies Squares
We're always looking for ways to improve our dessert game. Take the classic Rice Krispies Treats. The marshmallow-cereal confection is pretty great as is, but add a few other choice ingredients and you'll never rely on the recipe on the back of the box again.
6 tablespoons butter
One 10-ounce bag jumbo marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies
1¼ cups store-bought salted caramel sauce, plus 2 tablespoons for drizzling
One 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup heavy cream
Coarse salt, for finishing
1. Line a 13-by-9-inch pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large heat-safe bowl, combine the butter and marshmallows. Microwave in 20-second increments, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is melted and combined.
3. Stir in the Rice Krispies, mixing until fully coated. Press the mixture into the prepared pan in an even layer.
4. Warm the caramel sauce in the microwave in 10-second increments until it’s easily spreadable. Pour the caramel over the Rice Krispies mixture and spread into an even layer. Let the treats set at room temperature for 15 minutes.
5. In a medium-size heat-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and cream. Microwave the mixture in 15-second increments, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
6. Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer and spread evenly to cover. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, 10 to 15 minutes. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce over the chocolate and then sprinkle with the coarse salt. Cut into 20 even pieces and serve immediately.
7. Store the leftovers in an airtight contain for up to five days.