Would you believe us if we said we found a better version of homemade lasagna? Well, we did. In this recipe, crispy wontons replace traditional lasagna noodles to form these adorable and kid-friendly mini muffins.
Makes 24 muffins
Start to Finish: 45 minutes
1 pound ground beef
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 cups prepared pasta sauce
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 medium egg
½ teaspoon nutmeg
48 wonton wrappers (1 package)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease 24 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in the hot skillet, stirring and breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Drain and discard the excess grease.
3. Add the pasta sauce to the skillet and warm through. Remove from heat.
4. Mix the ricotta cheese with the egg and nutmeg. Set aside.
5. Press a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each muffin cup. Place 2 teaspoons of the ricotta mixture in each muffin cup, then add 3 tablespoons of the ground beef mixture. Top with another wonton wrapper and repeat the layering of the ricotta and ground beef mixtures. Top with 2 teaspoons mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake until the edges are browned, about 18 to 20 minutes.